History Event Transport functionality alternative

Hi all

In the History Service documentation you mention the possible ability to change the History Event Transport channel to for example JMS in order to achive async delivery. Can you tell exactly how can I configure the engine or this is not supported yet? The ProcessEngineConfiguration class do not have such methods to do this currently.

BR
Zoltán

1 Like

Hi Zoltán,

Like stated in the docs, you can implement a custom HistoryEventHandler which writes the events to a JMS queue and add it to the ProcessEngineConfiguration by either creating a Process Engine Plugin (when using a shared engine) or directly set it on the ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl when you are bootstrapping the engine as part of an embedded engine approach.
The engine uses the DbHistoryEventHandler as default implementation to write the history to the database.
You can also extend the class CompositeDbHistoryEventHandler to log to other sources in addition to the database.
We do not provide async history logging out of the box and I was unable to find an example for it in our repositories.

Does this answers your question?

Cheers,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Yes, I saw that I can set the historyeventhandler and producer in the engine configuration but the question was about how to “skip/replace/change” the history event transporter tier by directly using JMS forexample. I am sad after reading your last sentence.

BR
Zoltán

Hi Zoltán,

Christian has described how a custom history handler can be implemented and configured (the process engine configuration property for that is historyEventHandler with an according setter method in ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl). This is what the documentation means when it talks about exchanging/customizing/… history event handling.

As this is apparently not what you are after, could you please link to and quote the documentation that you are basing your statements on? Also, could you be more specific what you expect when you write skip/replace/change the history event transporter tier? I am not sure how that relates to the documentation other than the history handling that we have discussed here.

Also note that JMS as a history handler is just an example, there is no default implementation for that (and very likely there will not be one in the future).

Cheers,
Thorben