Call process and task rest APIs of camunda process engine from another standalone web application

Hi,

I am very new to Camunda Process Engine, so my question might be very basic, I apologize in advance.
So my requirement is that I want to maintain two servers, one is camunda apache tomcat and another apache tomcat where I have my main application. I do not want to use camunda spring boot aplication.
So from my main application I want to call camunda apache tomcat to deploy/start processes, complete tasks. I believe that processEngine which has runtimeService, historyService and many more, can be used with standalone camunda spring bootstrap application only.
Do we have anything similar like some adapter when we want to call processEngine’s services from a different application?
Camunda also has ExternalTaskClient too, which can be used for task completion, do we have anything similar using which we can call camunda’s rest API?

I am very new to Camunda, so might have used wrong terms in above.

I would really appreciate if someone could provide some leads.

Thanks in advance

Process engine services are same for all the deployment models/application setup.

Of course, yes. You can follow the standalone deployment model (remote server approach). In that you need to add camunda rest dependencies, so that you can access process engine services via rest-api.

Refer this camunda architectural section for remote server setup:

standalone-remote-process-engine-server

Architecture Overview | docs.camunda.org

Hi @aravindhrs,

Thanks for quick reply.
Can you please confirm if using this “standalone-remote-process-engine-server” architecture, we can use runtimeService, historyService which have many APIs or it can be used with REST APIs only?
If yes, can you please share any references?

About ExternalTaskClient, we have this maven dependency, by which its easy to access and poll task,
org.camunda.bpm.client.ExternalTaskClient

org.camunda.bpm
camunda-external-task-client

Do we have any other maven dependency, which can be used for calling task or process rest APIs?
Right now only option I see is spring rest template but that would require to hardcode urls.

Thanks in advance!

yes. you can expose your own rest endpoints using the process engine services.