Camunda creating audit trail on oracle db server

Hi Team,

I have facing issue with oracle db with space as camunda creating audit trail file on oracle server side.

Could you please let me know how to stop camunda to create this audit trail files?

Regards,
Amol

Hi Amol,

What exactly do you mean with audit trail file?

Cheers,
Thorben

Hi @Amol23,

please refer to https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBSEG/audit_admin.htm#DBSEG821, I don’t think camunda is performing any specific operations regarding audit trail.

Cheers,
Askar

HI Thorben,

Oracle db creates trail log file for each connection which has logging information of each and every query.
We are observing camunda execution creating multiple files almost 3gb data in 1 hr due to which our oracle server crashes.

I had discusssion with db team, they are saying these audit trail shows most of data due to multiple connection open close continueously.

Regards,
Amol

Hi Askar,

We are observing camunda execution creating multiple files almost 3gb data in 1 hr due to which our oracle server crashes.

I had discusssion with db team, they are saying these audit trail shows most of data due to multiple connection open close continueously.

Do you know any configuration which we can set to avoid these multiple connection open close?

Regards,
Amol

How do you run Camunda. On an application or web server like JBoss/Wildfly or Tomcat?
Then look for the connection pooling properties of the datasource used.
Probably the key is to allow more idle connections or for longer time, so that connections can get reused more often.
This will also have a positive effect on the overall perfomance.

This can help too: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.5/user-guide/process-engine/database/#database-configuration

1 Like

I would think it would depend upon how you have your Java container configured as well as how you’re using Camunda itself. Any number of things can open a connection including a script, Java class, or even (indirectly) a web service call. If these audit files (I don’t use Oracle DB) are the equivalent of transaction logs that may be needed for recovery, then you may just have to live with them.

However, if the high connection count is due something like database connection pools, then that is something you can generally configure in the Java container (Tomcat, WildFly, etc.). While you don’t have to use connection pools, they generally increase performance as they reduce some of the overhead required to establish an initial database connection. However, these connections are persistent (usually there is a minimum initial value), so you’re always going to have active connections, and thus in your case apparently, associated audit logs.

Personally, I would look first to your Oracle configuration. If there are no answers there, then look at your Java container configuration. Finally, examine your processes for instances where a database connection may be used.

Michael

hi All,

This is got resolved after setting properties like Max connection size, max idle connections.

Thanks to all for your help .

Cheers,
Amol