Can Camunda manage many process models?

Hello,

for a purpose I wouldn’t like to tell much about now I’m going to programmatically create process models, deploy them and then start instances of them. Of each generated model only one instance will exist. I.e. the relationship between models and instances will be 1:1 and not 1:n. The number of the models / instances will not be very high. Say, 100 per day.

My question is: Can Camunda manage that many models? Has anyone conducted experiments on this?

I have not. I don’t see a reason why camunda wouldn’t be able to manage this but I might oversee something.

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi @fml2,

I have not conducted experiments.
However, I believe that there is no easy answer to this question.

How long do the processes run? If your processes run multiple days, you may experience some performance drops as the cache reaches its limits and more database queries are necessary.

How complex are the models (How large are the files)? As with any data, the vast amount may slow down Camunda. Models are stored in the ACT_GE_BYTEARRAY table. Variables that are large and or stored in a binary format are also located in this table.

If you go down this route, I think a proper clean-up strategy is essential.

I hope this information helps. And I invite others to contribute to this question as well.

1 Like