Creation of ProcessInstanceId

Hi,

When I start a process from the Tasklist, when is the current “ProcessInstanceId” created (I mean saved in the database)?
I’m asking that because I want to have a check in the “Start” button that if that process is already running, then a new instance shouldn’t be started.

If I put a listener at the Start event, how do I check it?

Thx

Process instance id is globally unique across multiple process definitions. So it will always creates new instance id when starting a process instance. So it’s better to search by businesskey or with process/task variables whether the instance already exists or not. Before starting a process, you can query for process instances using REST API or Java API.

If you configure task listener for querying process instance, you can throw exception if instance already exists or u can create new instance through JAVA API.

You can get processEngine instance from DelegateTask. You can configure ExecutionListener also

processEngine.getRuntimeService().startProcessInstanceByKey("invoice");

Hi @aravindhrs,

If I use sth like

List<ProcessInstance> processInstances = runtimeService.createProcessInstanceQuery()
                .processDefinitionKey("My_Process")
                .list();

right after I push the “start” button in the tasklist, this will bring me the process_instance of the current one (at least), right? So, if more are already running, how to distinguish them? Maybe just check the count?
If count>1, then abort…

this will return you all the running(processState=Active) instances of the process definition “My_Process”. You can get total count of the active instances.

You can iterate through the list of process instances and check whether the process instance already exists.

Hi,

Any hint how to do this after a user clicks the “Start” button of a process in Tasklist?

Thx