Desktop Modeler missing Rest Connector (all connector options)

Greetings,
Not sure where I’ve gone wrong. I downloaded the 5.3.0 version of desktop modeler for windows x64. Started a new BPMN diagram for Camunda 8. When configuring a task, there are not options for Rest connector. (or any other connectors)

Thoughts?

I might be misunderstanding, but could you try creating a C7 / Platform model?

A C8 diagram will list only those items that are supported natively by Zeebe. Anything else you would need a template for. Since the Self-hosted Zeebe doesn’t include a REST connector, it’s not in the modeler.

You’re not the only one to complain about it

I’m looking at this documentation page

Can you do this with the desktop modeler?

Yeah… The cloud / SaaS vs Desktop stuff has been … interesting.
As far as I have understood, the Desktop modeler doesn’t include any templates for the C8 SaaS. If you’re doing self-hosted, or want to model on Desktop to load to SaaS, you need to load the templates.

The “following pages” point to the pages you linked to…

Where do I get the templates?

I’m not convinced that the have been released, since you also need the worker that goes with the “connector”

Hi folks!

Two important bits to understand connectors:

You can already use connector run-times if you use Camunda SaaS, however the specific templates for our out-of-the-box connectors won’t be available to the Desktop Modeler (yet). We simply do not ship them to date.

In the near future we’re going to open up our connector eco-system and make connectors available for self-managed, too. Part of it is to publish the element templates for our out-of-the-box connectors in a way that you can add them to the desktop modeler, too. Once we have it, you’ll get the full connectors experience our Desktop Modeler, too.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Thanks @nikku !
That was what I believed the current state was, but wasn’t 100% sure.

so for enterprise customers with self-managed setup we can not use Desktop Modeller? and if i want to use(your recommended way) embedded .bpmn file in a microservice i can not design it with Desktop Modeller. i have to use WebModeler, download .bpmn file and then put it in a microservice? am i right? or connectors are not available for self-managed setup at all?

Hi @mbyte,

Oh no, of course you can use Desktop Modeler.

The connectors are available for self managed installations as well: Installation | Camunda 8 Docs

The only thing that Nico wanted to point out, is that the connector templates are not bundled with the desktop modeller out-of-the-box, you have to install them after installing the desktop modeler: Configuring templates | Camunda 8 Docs

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

At the time of this thread (Sept 2022) the templates were not released.
They are now (as you’ve shown on your link)

To be clear to anyone finding this thread in the future, things do change rapidly, so things that are not available today (Dec 2023) MAY be available by the time you’re reading this.

1 Like

For what’s worth, you can just copy the json files of the element-templates dir of the connectors github page (in this example the rest connector) and put it in your element-templates dir of your desktop modeler installation dir. Restart Desktop Modeler and you are good to go.