External tasks not executing

Hi!

To start off, we’re using Camunda 7.11 and a lot of external tasks because we’re not Java programmers.

In one of our processes that we run we see that it gets stuck and doesn’t run one of our external tasks until the end of the process.

Here’s a screenshot of the diagram in cockpit, with 24 processes currently active:

The upper-left highlighted task is an external task (just an email sender) and the two others are user tasks, obviously waiting for user interaction.

We wanted to branch out and send emails asynchronously from the rest of the program, so with our current understanding of Camunda we ticked the “Asynchronous Before” box in the service task holding the external topic “SendEmail”.

This has turned out to work kind of the opposite. As seen in the first screenshot from the Cockpit, they all sit and wait instead. And yes we’re run the sanity check that we actually have an external task engine that reads the “SendEmail” topics.

Why is that? What in our understanding is misaligned with Camunda’s reality?

Cheers,
Kalle J

Adding this tick box simply creates a transaction boundary where the engine will commit the state before initializing the external task. This wouldn’t really help what you’re trying to do it. in fact because External tasks already have a transaction boundary by default you’re simply adding an extra step to the execution. Where the engine’s job executor need to query and lock the job before continuing. Take a look at these docs for more details.

Omg @Niall you’re so right. Ok I didn’t fully understand this concept of a “Job”.

The docs clearly state:

When using an embedded process engine, by default, the Job Executor is not activated when the process engine boots.

(Source: The Job Executor | docs.camunda.org)

Have I just not had a “Job executor” enabled? I don’t have the time to test it right now but that sounds like a reasonable explanation… Not reasonable that it would be disabled, but reasonable cause. We more or less just run a Camunda docker image, which I believe uses an embedded process engine.

:cold_sweat:

Sure, turning on the job executor should fix your problem.

1 Like