Historic external task logs

Hi,
I have a test case which starts a process using Rest API POST /process-definition/key/{key}/start with one of invalid variable in the request body. From result response I took Id of the process instance to verify the external task logs using Rest API GET /history/external-task-log

In my testing I am expecting failureLog as true from the historic external task log for that processId, but actually the response has deletionLog as true.

Is this expected behavior or is it a bug ?

Hi @pushpa,

what is a “invalid variable”? Where in the process should it be “invalid”? What does the external task handler looks like?

Could you please specify this in more details?

Cheers, Ingo

Hi Ingo, Thanks for the response.
Here are details, please let me know if you need any more details.

I have a process definition which was configured with variables A, B and C of type string
My automation test instantiates the process with invalid request body (setting variables A,B and D with string values).
Please Note, variable C is replaced with variable D which is invalid for the workflow.
From result response I took processInstanceId to verify the external task logs
For this case I am expecting failureLog as true from the historic external task log for that processId, but actually the response has deletionLog as true.

Additional Details:
Upon reviewing the code in external task handler for empty variables values throwing CamundaDataException and catching this as a business error (handleBpmnError) and terminating the workflow.
Is it consider as a delete rather than fail?

Hi @pushpa,

the process model and the code of your task worker would help me to understand your issue.

Could you upload them?

Cheers, Ingo