How camunda actually runs? I need some information for my master's dissertation

Hello all,

I am going to present Camunda in my master’s dissertation. For this reason, I would like to know how Camunda runs in order to describe it in a clear way in my dissertation. My goal is to present all the technologies needed for making Camunda run and how is actually structured.

If you would be able to explain it with simple words, I would be so helpful (since I have not a well-in-depth technical background).

What I can understand is the following:
Camunda is surrounded let’s say by a container. For example, this container can be Tomcat, Wildfly or other application server. That is to say, for every configuration needed for Camunda environment, I need to configure the surrounding environment (Tomcat, Wildfly, etc.). When I start up the server (e.g. Tomcat), the Camunda environment is set up.

Please, if you think that you need to add or correct something on my description, don’t hesitate to do so. This is for a master’s dissertation and If you could help me on how camunda actually runs, I would be so grateful.

Thank you in advance.

What you’ve written isn’t to bad, but it could be more accurate.
Being deployed on an application server is certainly one way of running Camunda, but it can also be embedded in a library inside a regular java application.

It can also be run as part of a spring boot application.

Its probably not accurate to say that every configuration of Camunda requires configuritation in the application server there are a lot of configurations that can be made directly against the engine and stored in the database (like tenants).