How can I know the next user tasks that the zeebe engine is or would execute?

Using the zeebe client (java) api how can I know at runtime what is the current or next user task that the zeebe engine is or would execute?

I want to query the engine at runtime to determine at what stage is the workflow

Thanks.

Hi @JGeek ,

Zeebe itself doesn’t contain a query API.

You could use the Operate API to query the status of the process instance. Have a look at the docs here: Operate API (REST) | Camunda Platform 8

Or, you read the process by yourself (using the model API) and determine the next task.

Best regards,
Philipp

In my understanding operate could not be used in production under free licence so I assume it’s rest api also cannot be used. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Is there an example code or Java docs of the model api?

Thanks

No :sweat_smile: But it is similar to the one from Camunda Platform 7. You can read about it here: Read a Model | docs.camunda.org

I read the model api docs. It seems to be for reading the bpmn file.

I am looking for the runtime state of the workflow that will tell me whats the currently active task. Is there an api that gives the runtime state?

No.

You have a look at the community project ZeeQS: GitHub - camunda-community-hub/zeeqs: GraphQL API for Zeebe data

Or, build something by yourself (e.g. using your own exporter, using job workers and maybe the BPMN process).

1 Like