How can I notify users about (or even assign) upcoming tasks in the process?

Hello,
I was looking for a way to inform a user about upcoming tasks in the process and found the following post:

My question: Is this post still up to date or is there now a default notification option? And furthermore, is there a possibility at the beginning of the process to not only notify a user about tasks that are assigned to him later during the process, but to really assign the task already but only make it executable when the process has arrived at the corresponding point?

A use case could look like this: At the beginning of the process, a user receives all tasks in his task list but can only process the task at which the process is currently working (first Task1, then Task2, then Task3 etc.).

Many thanks in advance.

Hi @dreiss,

the hook for user notification are Task Listeners: Delegation Code | docs.camunda.org.

Here you can provide Java code that gets execucted once a user task arrives at a certain stage. (create, assign, delete).

The code will only be executed when the user task becomes active, not beforehand.

To set a default notification, you can configure your listener as a process engine plugin, that is available for every user task in every process: camunda-bpm-examples/process-engine-plugin/bpmn-parse-listener/README.md at 83941d97825fdc488bf582cd4b3ae14672dabf9a · camunda/camunda-bpm-examples · GitHub

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

Hi @Ingo_Richtsmeier,
thank you very much, that definitely solves my question about the notifications!

Just to make sure, a follow-up question concerning “code will only be executed when the user task becomes active, not beforehand”:
Then it is not possible to assign all tasks at the beginning of the process, but only make them executable when the process has arrived at the appropriate point, right?

Many thanks in advance