How many number of process Instances of a workFlow will run simultaneously?

Hi ,

1.Can anyone please let me know how many number of process instances of a workflow would run simultaneously.
2. I have connector task (service Task) followed by Intermediate Catch Events(triggered by message APIs) .So how much number of process Instances of the same workFlow can be there in the wait state(at the intemediate catch event) simultaneously ?
3.What the the maximum number of deployments/version possible for a process Definition?

Thanks and Regards,
Albin

Hi @Albin_Chandy,

the answer to the first two questions is: it depends only on your database size. If you have to number them, think about millions or more.

For the process definition, the version is stored in an integer column. So the limit for versions of a process definition is about 2 billions. ((2**31) - 1 exactly)

Hope this helps,

Ingo

1 Like

Thanks @Ingo_Richtsmeier ,

Could you please let me know if there is any timeout for the message event to wait before it gets triggered using the rest api ?

Thanks ,
Albin

Hi @Albin_Chandy,

the startProcessInstanceByKey method will return after the process state is persisted in the database. Now you can call correlateMessage (Java- or Rest-API) and your process instance will suceed to the end. There is no timeout to receive the message. It can be milliseconds, minutes or even days later, when the message arrive at the process instance.

Maybe you could have a look at the Transaction chapter in the docs: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.9/user-guide/process-engine/transactions-in-processes/

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

Hi @Albin_Chandy, just a side mark: If you want a timeout, use the event based gateway (see link from @Ingo_Richtsmeier).