Using test processes in camunda-spring-boot-starter unit tests

I use the camunda-spring-boot-starter project to setup my Camunda applications. I even extend SpringBootProcessApplication to be able to register global ExecutionListener. The signature of my main (configuration) class normally looks like that

@SpringBootApplication
@ProcessApplication
public class Main extends SpringBootProcessApplication {

I also work with an empty processes.xml file. Thus my process definitions are automatically deployed when running my application or when execution unit tests.

I now face the situation that I want to write tests which use a dedicated process definition that should be only deployed in unit tests (and best without deploying the ‘production’ definitions). I therefore put the bpmn file in src/test/resouces - but that has no effect.

Using special test processes seems to be easy with the ProcessEngineRule but as far as I see I can not use this approach because the CamundaSpringBootStarter has a different bootstrap behaviour (and I would like to avoid to define a special setup to use the ProcessEngineRule).

Does anybody can offer an example how to use test specific process definitions when using CamundaSpringBootStarter with ProcessApplication to bootstrap an application?

An example of my project setup can be seen in my camunda-variable-scope-demo.

Hi Franz

interesting scenario that I did not test so far … my guess is that for now, you will need a non-empty processes.xml in test/resources/META-INF and specify a concrete location (resource-path) for your test-processes …

Jan

Hi Jan,

thanks. Already thought about that but setting the deploymentDescriptors property on the @ProcessApplication annotation has no effect. If empty processes.xml is still present the default values will be used; if processes.xml is deleted the declared test deploymentDescriptor will not be uses (as far as I can see). No process will be deployed in this case. Strange.

Kind regards,
Franz

As hard I searched for a solution as easy the final solution was.

I just had to place another empty deployment descriptor file to the src/test/resources/META-INF location. The BPM files in the src/test/resources/bpmn directory are now deployed as expected.

I have no idea why this works. I finally found out the solution by experimenting with a little demo project. The demo project is available as a GitLab repository here.

1 Like

Hi @FrVaBe!

I tried to start your project but it doesn’t work returning this error:

Tests in error:
startProductionProcess(de.frvabe.bpm.camunda.ProductionProcessTest): Failed to load ApplicationCon
startTestProcess(de.frvabe.bpm.camunda.TestProcessTest): Failed to load ApplicationContext

what’s the problem?

Hi devj87,

what do you mean by “start the project”? The error is your case means that the unit tests did not succeed because they failed to load the Spring application context. Not sure what happend. Just checked it here myself and it all works fine.

The project is not really meant to be “run” (although you can start the Main class). It should demonstrate how to execute unit tests (even for BPMN models that are only part of the test configuration). Does a

mvn clean install

works at your site? Do you have a more detailes stacktrace?

Kind regards
Franz

Hi @FrVaBe! Thanks for reply

I just executed a

mvn clean install

under camunda-spring-boot-starter-unit-testing-demo folder

Error details below:

Error starting ApplicationContext. To display the auto-configuration report re-run your application with ‘debug’ enabled.
2017-10-30 13:10:48.536 ERROR 2160 — [ main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication : Application startup failed

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'createRestConfig' defined in class path resource [org/camunda/bpm/spring/boot/star
dError: Could not initialize class org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.impl.CamundaRestResources
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1628) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:555) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.REL
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEA
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:306) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:230) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:302) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:197) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:761) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:866) ~[spring-context-4.3.7.RELE
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:542) ~[spring-context-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refresh(SpringApplication.java:737) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refreshContext(SpringApplication.java:370) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.run(SpringApplication.java:314) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.test.context.SpringBootContextLoader.loadContext(SpringBootContextLoader.java:120) [spring-boot-test-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContextInternal(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:98) [spring-test-
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContext(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:116) [spring-test-4.3.7.R
		at org.springframework.test.context.support.DefaultTestContext.getApplicationContext(DefaultTestContext.java:83) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.setUpRequestContextIfNecessary(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:189) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELE
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.prepareTestInstance(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:131) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3
		at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManager.prepareTestInstance(TestContextManager.java:230) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.createTest(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:228) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner$1.runReflectiveCall(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:287) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELE
		at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.methodBlock(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:289) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:247) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:94) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.java:61) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.java:70) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.run(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:191) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:252) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:141) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:112) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189) [surefire-api-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.impl.CamundaRestResources
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.registerCamundaRestResources(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:25) ~[camunda-bpm-spring-boo
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.afterPropertiesSet(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:18) ~[camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1687) ~[spring-beans-4.3
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1624) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.
		... 46 common frames omitted

2017-10-30 13:10:48.538 ERROR 2160 --- [           main] o.s.test.context.TestContextManager      : Caught exception while allowing TestExecutionListener [org.springframe
]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load ApplicationContext
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContext(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:124) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.
		at org.springframework.test.context.support.DefaultTestContext.getApplicationContext(DefaultTestContext.java:83) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.setUpRequestContextIfNecessary(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:189) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.REL
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.prepareTestInstance(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:131) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.
		at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManager.prepareTestInstance(TestContextManager.java:230) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.createTest(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:228) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner$1.runReflectiveCall(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:287) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELE
		at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.methodBlock(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:289) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:247) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:94) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.java:61) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.java:70) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363) [junit-4.12.jar:4.12]
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.run(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:191) [spring-test-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:252) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:141) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:112) [surefire-junit4-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189) [surefire-api-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75) [surefire-booter-2.12.4.jar:2.12.4]
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'createRestConfig' defined in class path resource [org/camunda/bpm/sprin
lassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.impl.CamundaRestResources
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1628) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:555) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.REL
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEA
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:306) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:230) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:302) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:197) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:761) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.RELEASE
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:866) ~[spring-context-4.3.7.RELE
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:542) ~[spring-context-4.3.7.RELEASE.jar:4.3.7.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refresh(SpringApplication.java:737) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refreshContext(SpringApplication.java:370) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.run(SpringApplication.java:314) ~[spring-boot-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.boot.test.context.SpringBootContextLoader.loadContext(SpringBootContextLoader.java:120) ~[spring-boot-test-1.5.2.RELEASE.jar:1.5.2.RELEASE]
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContextInternal(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:98) ~[spring-test
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContext(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:116) ~[spring-test-4.3.7.
		... 31 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.impl.CamundaRestResources
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.registerCamundaRestResources(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:25) ~[camunda-bpm-spring-boo
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.afterPropertiesSet(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:18) ~[camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1687) ~[spring-beans-4.3
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1624) ~[spring-beans-4.3.7.
		... 46 common frames omitted

Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.086 sec <<< FAILURE!
startTestProcess(de.frvabe.bpm.camunda.TestProcessTest)  Time elapsed: 0.001 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load ApplicationContext
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContext(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:124)
		at org.springframework.test.context.support.DefaultTestContext.getApplicationContext(DefaultTestContext.java:83)
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.setUpRequestContextIfNecessary(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:189)
		at org.springframework.test.context.web.ServletTestExecutionListener.prepareTestInstance(ServletTestExecutionListener.java:131)
		at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManager.prepareTestInstance(TestContextManager.java:230)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.createTest(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:228)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner$1.runReflectiveCall(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:287)
		at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.methodBlock(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:289)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:247)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:94)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.java:61)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements.RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.java:70)
		at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363)
		at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.run(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:191)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:252)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:141)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:112)
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
		at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
		at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
		at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115)
		at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'createRestConfig' defined in class path resource [org/camunda/bpm/sprin
lassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.impl.CamundaRestResources
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1628)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:555)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:306)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:230)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:302)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:197)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:761)
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:866)
		at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:542)
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refresh(SpringApplication.java:737)
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.refreshContext(SpringApplication.java:370)
		at org.springframework.boot.SpringApplication.run(SpringApplication.java:314)
		at org.springframework.boot.test.context.SpringBootContextLoader.loadContext(SpringBootContextLoader.java:120)
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContextInternal(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:98)
		at org.springframework.test.context.cache.DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.loadContext(DefaultCacheAwareContextLoaderDelegate.java:116)
		... 31 more
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.registerCamundaRestResources(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:25)
		at org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.rest.CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.afterPropertiesSet(CamundaJerseyResourceConfig.java:18)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1687)
		at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1624)
		... 46 more

Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false

Results :

Tests in error:
  startProductionProcess(de.frvabe.bpm.camunda.ProductionProcessTest): Failed to load ApplicationContext
  startTestProcess(de.frvabe.bpm.camunda.TestProcessTest): Failed to load ApplicationContext

Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0

Best regards

Hi,

I did a test with a fresh clone and it works.

In your log I can see:
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false
That could be a hint. Its probably a local option on your system.

The initialization fails during the attempt to init the Camunda REST resources. You can try to remove the

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.camunda.bpm.extension.springboot</groupId>
    <artifactId>camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-rest</artifactId>
    <version>2.0.0</version>
</dependency>

dependency. It is not realy needed. Nevertheless port 8080 should be free for the camunda webapp application.

By the way. This demo does not uses the latest Camunda & Camunda Spring Boot Starter versions. Things might have changed in the meantime. So if you start a new project try to update the dependencies to new versions (which of course might break the demo here).

ok thanks a lot!

best regards