CMMN: Error on following the tutorial for first war-deploy

Hi,
I’m writing a paper (“Hausarbeit” / “Seminar”) for university on CMMN and tried following the CMMN tutorial.
At step “Instantiate and Test” in the CMMN tutorial after right-clicking on the pom.xml-file and clicking on “Run As / Maven Install” I get the following message (of course I ran the “Maven Clean”-command before):

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]                                                                         
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building loan-approval-cmmn 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] 
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:resources (default-resources) @ loan-approval-cmmn ---
[WARNING] Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] Copying 2 resources
[INFO] 
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) @ loan-approval-cmmn ---
[INFO] Changes detected - recompiling the module!
[WARNING] File encoding has not been set, using platform encoding Cp1252, i.e. build is platform dependent!
[INFO] Compiling 1 source file to C:\Users\Felix\Dropbox\WInfo-Studium\WS_JavaStudium\CMMN2\loan-approval-cmmn\target\classes
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR : 
[ERROR] No compiler is provided in this environment. Perhaps you are running on a JRE rather than a JDK?
[INFO] 1 error
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 1.633 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2016-12-12T22:19:15+01:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 9M/150M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) on project loan-approval-cmmn: Compilation failure
[ERROR] No compiler is provided in this environment. Perhaps you are running on a JRE rather than a JDK?
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException

I couldn’t find any helpful information on this error as my Eclipse-Installation would perform just fine on other Java-Projects - and even at step “Project Setup” after editing the pom.xml-file and running the command “Run As / Maven Install” everything works just fine (“Build Success”).

I even tried it with your pre-packed Catch-up-ZIPs - (Import, Run as / Maven Clean -> Success, Run as / Maven Build -> Failure, same message as above).
I also deleted the .m2-folder in the User-directory for a fresh clean build.

My system:
Windows 10 x64 German
Eclipse.1a Neon 4.6.1 x64
Java JRE 1.8.0_65
Java JDK 1.8.0_65
camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0
camunda-modeler-1.5.1-win32-ia32

I am very grateful for any help you can provide - thanks! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Felix

Felix,

It looks like your development environment is using the JRE rather than the JDK java environment. Hence the JRE does not include the java compiler or javac.exe.

You need to ensure your development environment is using a JDK. Setting this depends on your development tools. It could be that the JRE is in your path environment variable and by default thats whats being used. Hence consider changing the value in your path setting…

regards

Rob