Problem with starting a process that contains a DMN table

Hi everyone,

I have modeled a process that contains a DMN table. However, when I start the process in the Camunda cockpit, I get the following error in my response:

{“type”:“UnsupportedOperationException”,“message”:“FEEL-01016 Simple Expression not supported by FEEL engine”}

I have no idea where to look because the error is really generic. Can anyone give me a hint on where to look? The input values in my table are specified in FEEL and I do not have any expressions such as comparisons or such.
MyDMN.dmn (2.7 KB)

Could you upload your models?

1 Like

And here comes the process model:

Myprocess.bpmn (12.3 KB)

Could you also upload your DMN table?

I did. Please see the first post. I edited it and added the table.

1 Like

I gave it a shot here locally and it seems to work without a problem.
Can you tell me how exactly you’re getting the error

I just start the process in the Web-UI of Camunda via “Tasklist” -> “Start process” and then I get the error.

Is there anything I have to configure in the Engine for the FEEL language?

Well, there’s one thing i did need to fix before i was able to get it working - i had to add some kind of implementation to the check new products task. Although i’m not sure how you would have been able to deploy the process without something in there i didn’t think to mention it.

Have you looked into the log file of your container? It probably has a more detailed error.

In order to catch the error in cockpit i’d suggest you add a transaction boundary before the check teams for product task by ticking the asynchronous before box.

That way you should be able to start the process and see the error in cockpit.

There are not additional settings needed for FEEL to work in your DMN table

Also make sure you are using the latest Camunda version.

1 Like

Thanx. I will have a look into that. I do have an implementation for that service task. I just adjusted the diagram to upload it here because it has some company specific data in it. I forgot to add the implementation in there. It does exist tho.

The complete exception that I get in the log is this (not sure if this is of any help):

11-May-2018 13:50:19.424 WARNING [http-nio-8080-exec-22] org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.exception.ExceptionHandler.toResponse java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: FEEL-01016 Simple Expression not supported by FEEL engine
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.feel.impl.juel.FeelEngineLogger.simpleExpressionNotSupported(FeelEngineLogger.java:157)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.feel.impl.juel.FeelEngineImpl.evaluateSimpleExpression(FeelEngineImpl.java:45)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.ExpressionEvaluationHandler.evaluateFeelSimpleExpression(ExpressionEvaluationHandler.java:127)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.ExpressionEvaluationHandler.evaluateExpression(ExpressionEvaluationHandler.java:56)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.evaluateInputExpression(DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.java:186)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.evaluateInput(DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.java:119)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.evaluateDecisionTable(DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.java:101)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.evaluation.DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.evaluate(DecisionTableEvaluationHandler.java:78)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.DefaultDmnDecisionContext.evaluateDecision(DefaultDmnDecisionContext.java:82)
	at org.camunda.bpm.dmn.engine.impl.DefaultDmnEngine.evaluateDecision(DefaultDmnEngine.java:164)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.dmn.invocation.DecisionInvocation.invoke(DecisionInvocation.java:53)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DelegateInvocation.proceed(DelegateInvocation.java:54)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DefaultDelegateInterceptor.handleInvocationInContext(DefaultDelegateInterceptor.java:87)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DefaultDelegateInterceptor.handleInvocation(DefaultDelegateInterceptor.java:59)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.util.DecisionEvaluationUtil.invoke(DecisionEvaluationUtil.java:94)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.util.DecisionEvaluationUtil.evaluateDecision(DecisionEvaluationUtil.java:68)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.bpmn.behavior.DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior$1.call(DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior.java:53)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.bpmn.behavior.DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior$1.call(DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior.java:50)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.bpmn.behavior.AbstractBpmnActivityBehavior.executeWithErrorPropagation(AbstractBpmnActivityBehavior.java:108)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.bpmn.behavior.DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior.execute(DmnBusinessRuleTaskActivityBehavior.java:50)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute$2.callback(PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.java:57)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute$2.callback(PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.java:46)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl.continueIfExecutionDoesNotAffectNextOperation(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1936)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.execute(PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.java:38)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.execute(PvmAtomicOperationActivityExecute.java:27)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.AtomicOperationInvocation.execute(AtomicOperationInvocation.java:89)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.invokeNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:125)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:104)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performOperation(CommandInvocationContext.java:79)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperation(ExecutionEntity.java:611)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperation(ExecutionEntity.java:587)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl$5.callback(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1875)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl$5.callback(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1872)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl.continueExecutionIfNotCanceled(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1942)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl.dispatchDelayedEventsAndPerformOperation(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1891)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.PvmExecutionImpl.dispatchDelayedEventsAndPerformOperation(PvmExecutionImpl.java:1872)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationTransitionNotifyListenerStart.eventNotificationsCompleted(PvmAtomicOperationTransitionNotifyListenerStart.java:57)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationTransitionNotifyListenerStart.eventNotificationsCompleted(PvmAtomicOperationTransitionNotifyListenerStart.java:27)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.operation.AbstractEventAtomicOperation.execute(AbstractEventAtomicOperation.java:65)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.AtomicOperationInvocation.execute(AtomicOperationInvocation.java:89)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.invokeNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:125)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:104)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performOperation(CommandInvocationContext.java:79)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performOperation(CommandInvocationContext.java:69)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperationSync(ExecutionEntity.java:622)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperationSync(ExecutionEntity.java:597)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.operation.AbstractEventAtomicOperation.execute(AbstractEventAtomicOperation.java:58)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performOperation(CommandInvocationContext.java:69)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperationSync(ExecutionEntity.java:622)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperationSync(ExecutionEntity.java:597)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.core.operation.AbstractEventAtomicOperation.execute(AbstractEventAtomicOperation.java:58)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext$1.call(CommandInvocationContext.java:95)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext$1.call(CommandInvocationContext.java:93)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.context.ProcessApplicationClassloaderInterceptor.call(ProcessApplicationClassloaderInterceptor.java:44)
	at org.camunda.bpm.application.AbstractProcessApplication.execute(AbstractProcessApplication.java:114)
	at org.camunda.bpm.application.AbstractProcessApplication.execute(AbstractProcessApplication.java:125)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.context.Context.executeWithinProcessApplication(Context.java:192)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:93)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperation(ExecutionEntity.java:611)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.performOperation(ExecutionEntity.java:587)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationTransitionCreateScope.scopeCreated(PvmAtomicOperationTransitionCreateScope.java:34)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationCreateScope.execute(PvmAtomicOperationCreateScope.java:50)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.operation.PvmAtomicOperationCreateScope.execute(PvmAtomicOperationCreateScope.java:24)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:112)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext$1.call(CommandInvocationContext.java:95)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext$1.call(CommandInvocationContext.java:93)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.context.ProcessApplicationClassloaderInterceptor.call(ProcessApplicationClassloaderInterceptor.java:44)
	at org.camunda.bpm.application.AbstractProcessApplication.execute(AbstractProcessApplication.java:114)
	at org.camunda.bpm.application.AbstractProcessApplication.execute(AbstractProcessApplication.java:125)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.context.Context.executeWithinProcessApplication(Context.java:192)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandInvocationContext.performNext(CommandInvocationContext.java:93)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ExecutionEntity.startWithFormProperties(ExecutionEntity.java:480)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cmd.SubmitStartFormCmd.execute(SubmitStartFormCmd.java:81)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cmd.SubmitStartFormCmd.execute(SubmitStartFormCmd.java:39)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandExecutorImpl.execute(CommandExecutorImpl.java:24)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContextInterceptor.execute(CommandContextInterceptor.java:104)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.ProcessApplicationContextInterceptor.execute(ProcessApplicationContextInterceptor.java:66)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.LogInterceptor.execute(LogInterceptor.java:30)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.FormServiceImpl.submitStartForm(FormServiceImpl.java:74)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.sub.repository.impl.ProcessDefinitionResourceImpl.submitForm(ProcessDefinitionResourceImpl.java:170)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:167)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethod.invokeOnTarget(ResourceMethod.java:257)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethod.invoke(ResourceMethod.java:222)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocator.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocator.java:159)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocator.invoke(ResourceLocator.java:107)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocator.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocator.java:154)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocator.invoke(ResourceLocator.java:92)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.getResponse(SynchronousDispatcher.java:542)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:524)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:126)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.ServletContainerDispatcher.service(ServletContainerDispatcher.java:208)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:55)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:50)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:291)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.camunda.bpm.engine.rest.filter.CacheControlFilter.doFilter(CacheControlFilter.java:41)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.filter.SecurityFilter.doFilterSecure(SecurityFilter.java:67)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.filter.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:51)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.auth.AuthenticationFilter$1.execute(AuthenticationFilter.java:59)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.auth.AuthenticationFilter$1.execute(AuthenticationFilter.java:56)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.SecurityActions.runWithAuthentications(SecurityActions.java:38)
	at org.camunda.bpm.webapp.impl.security.auth.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:56)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:617)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:518)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1091)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:668)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1527)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1484)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I am using Camunda 7.6.0

Any luck with 7.8.0?

Hi @DaryaM,

can you please share your process engine configuration?
Do you change the configuration of the DMN engine?

When you see this error then you set the expression language for an expression (which is not the input entry) to FEEL. This leads to an error because the Camunda DMN engine supports FEEL expressions only for input entries.

Best regards,
Philipp

1 Like

I get the same error with 7.8.6

My engine configuration looks like this (I didn’t change anything).
bpm-platform.xml (3.5 KB)

Hi @DaryaM,

I can’t reproduce the issue with your DMN and BPMN files.

Can you provide a failing test case?

Best regards,
Philipp

Hi, I found the issue. In my original file, the XML contained the following:

<inputExpression id="LiteralExpression_0bqgrlg" typeRef="string" expressionLanguage="FEEL">
      <text>affectedProducts</text>
    </inputExpression>

Removing "expressionLanguage=“FEEL” fixed the error.

3 Likes