Setup Horizontal Scaling

Hi,

Our organization has been running Camunda for almost a year now. It is time to setup horizontal scale to anticipate high load in near future.

Our setup is

I have try to scale by simply running another container on another EC2 instance and have load balancer in front of them. It seems to work.

But my question is, is this common practice to scale camunda simply by adding another standalone instance? Or do I need to setup Wildfly standalone cluster? What are the things I need to consider here?

Thanks,

Hi @dandirusli,

Sounds fine. Does your idea correspond to the setup discussed here? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/camunda-bpm-users/cluster$20scale|sort:relevance/camunda-bpm-users/5GmWp7TE4Vk/1O3yrEDJz2UJ

Cheers,
Thorben

Hi Thorben,

Thanks for quick reply.

Ours is much simpler. No multi-tenancy needed.

My doubt was do I need to run Camunda in standalone mode, or standalone cluster (in Jboss/Wildfly term). But I don’t see any value of running them in a cluster if Camunda work just fine in standalone mode.

Unless I’m missing something here.

1 Like

Hi @dandirusli,

Camunda does not require any application-server-specific cluster setups and it does not benefit any more from them than any other application would. So it should be perfectly fine to run three individual Camunda instances like in the sketch you have posted. From what I understand, the Wildfly clustering features provide failover and load balancing. If that is what your load balancer provides, then I don’t see the benefit of using the Wildfly features.

Cheers,
Thorben

2 Likes

Hi @thorben,

That clears up everything. Thanks alot!

Keep in mind that the horizontal scale does only work for homegenous clusters. As long as the deployed processes and applications are available on all three nodes, you are fine.

2 Likes