Quick questions

1. Can a workflow be represented in an application showing next step (which may involve multiple people) and future steps separately or must all future steps all be shown together in order?

2. Is it possible for an end user to eliminate or override a step in a process? Business case: There is a process that have 5 steps, one being finance, a person in step one believes this step is not necessary in this case. I’d like them to be able to eliminate this step so finance is not involved and for the user to provide a comment on why they made this decision. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

I moved this topic to a more relevant section of the forum.

Hi @cthompson518,

1: Can you please clarify this and describe a concrete scenario?

2: There are various ways to go about this. One idea could be using exclusive gateways. Based on a decision in a previous task, the gateway could trigger a flow that leads to a follow-up task or not.

Without using gateways, there are API methods to arbitrarily modify execution state in a BPMN process. Yet if skipping tasks is a common operation your users should be able to perform, CMMN models may be better suited than BPMN models. CMMN is a tool for (unstructured) cases. A case consists of a number of tasks for which only a lose order of execution is defined upfront. Workers have more freedom in selecting which steps need to be done and in which order. See for example the CMMN getting started guide: https://docs.camunda.org/get-started/cmmn11/

For completeness, the API for doing this in a BPMN process would be process instance modification. Note that using this regularly may defeat the purpose of BPMN since the actually executed process differs from what is defined in the model.

Cheers,
Thorben

1 Like

For scenario 1.

What I’m seeking is something that looks like this…

Next Step

Investigator Approval

Future Steps

Co-Investigator Approval

Chair Approval

Dean Approval

Finance Approval

Not this…

Future Steps

Investigator Approval

Co-Investigator Approval

Chair Approval

Dean Approval

Finance Approval

For scenario 2.

I’d like to see that ability to bypass/eliminate steps by an end user in the application itself as shown below.

Next Step

Investigator Approval  | Delete

Future Steps

Co-Investigator Approval  | Delete

Chair Approval  | Delete

Dean Approval  | Delete

Finance Approval  | Delete

I don’t how to manually skip a task in Camuda as CaseSerivice doesn’t provided a method like skipCaseExecution.Could you provided me some examples?

I don’t know anything about Case management as I’ve never used it. However, in BPMN you could always use gateways (“conditional statements”) to provide a route “around” a step under certain conditions. That’s how I would handle this if supported.