Runinng camunda on WildFly

i’m trying to deploy example project Camundanzia on WildFly (clean installation running as standalone) however when deploying application im getting the following error:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.camunda.bpm.engine.variable.value.SerializationDataFormat from [Module "deployment.camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war" from Service Module Loader]

im not quite sure how to tackle this issue, any suggestions?

It looks like the project is tested against Camunda 7.8,
Which Camunda, Wildfly versions do you use?

WildFly: 18.0.0.Final
Camunda: 7.8.0 (tried also with 7.11.0 but got the same result)

force attaching camunda-commons-typed-values to war seems to solve the deployment issue but even then http://localhost:8080/camunda-showcase-insurance-application/online/index.html?lang=en is not available

Hey @JohnArray (great name btw),

it looks like the documentation of the showcase is looking into the future!
As of now the websites are still built with JSP and not HTML, that means that you’ll have to change http://localhost:8080/camunda-showcase-insurance-application/online/index.html?lang=en to http://localhost:8080/camunda-showcase-insurance-application/online/index.jsp?lang=en.

Besides that I’d recommend using a prepacked camunda wildfly distribution , at least for playing around and doing stuff.

After these two steps everything should work just fine.
Have a nice day!

1 Like

nice, thank you, the link you provided worked like a charm :wink:

Actually i wanted to try this particular project as it seems to have many featured i want to try out already implemented and it comes with front-end. (this is a very nice showcase https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NMT1TSIdk4)

I have one additional question:
how can i access cockpit in this app? i have added @Configuration at MyCamundaBpmWebappInitializer but it seems this to break the whole application:

17:50:49,547 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 89) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war".undertow-deployment: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war".undertow-deployment: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsServerContainer cannot be cast to io.undertow.websockets.jsr.ServerWebSocketContainer
    at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentService$1.run(UndertowDeploymentService.java:81)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at org.jboss.threads.ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.run(ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.java:35)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor.safeRun(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1982)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.doRunTask(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1486)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1377)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    at org.jboss.threads.JBossThread.run(JBossThread.java:485)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsServerContainer cannot be cast to io.undertow.websockets.jsr.ServerWebSocketContainer17:50:49,547 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 89) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war".undertow-deployment: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war".undertow-deployment: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsServerContainer cannot be cast to io.undertow.websockets.jsr.ServerWebSocketContainer
    at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentService$1.run(UndertowDeploymentService.java:81)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at org.jboss.threads.ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.run(ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.java:35)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor.safeRun(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1982)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.doRunTask(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1486)
    at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1377)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    at org.jboss.threads.JBossThread.run(JBossThread.java:485)
 Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsServerContainer cannot be cast to io.undertow.websockets.jsr.ServerWebSocketContainer

also it seems like its not able to find a tons of jar’s (below is only an example):

17:50:40,922 WARN  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-8) WFLYSRV0059: Class Path entry $asm-all-repackaged.$jar in /C:/projects/camundaTests/wildfly-18.0.0.Final/wildfly-18.0.0.Final/bin/content/camunda-showcase-insurance-application.war/WEB-INF/lib/hk2-2.4.0-b34.jar  does not point to a valid jar for a Class-Path reference.

No problem :slight_smile:

I think it really should help to use one of these distibutions as there are probably all of the needed jars inside the WildFly.

Afterwards you should be able to find cockpit at http://localhost:8080/camunda/app/cockpit/default/# .