Serializing Objects

Hi ,

I want to persist data from forms to my own table. For example am creating a student admission details. In which information belonging to student say name , age , sex etc to be saved to a new table called “student” in database(using Mysql database). I have read some articles regarding serialization of objects but am not in a way to start development, need more understanding about the concept. Could anyone help me to find a solution. I want to keep form variables in custom tables otherwise it will be difficult to query data for reporting purpose…

Thanks
John

@Scorpion you have a few options depending on how and where you want to store the data.
Few questions.

1. You want to store the data in the Camunda DB in your own Table?
  2. You want or have created a Java object representing this data?
  3. When you submit your data, you are submitting all data on the form?
  4. Does each submission need to be stored for reporting? Do submissions ever overwrite a previously submitted value?
  5. Do you have preference on how you access the table? Web service, Java delegate, etc ?

Hi @StephenOTT ,

You want to store the data in the Camunda DB in your own Table?

Yes , want store in camunda DB itself but in a custom table.
    Say for student details , there have a student table

You want or have created a Java object representing this data?

Not started any dev activities. So i want java object representing data :slight_smile:

When you submit your data, you are submitting all data on the form?
Does each submission need to be stored for reporting? Do submissions ever overwrite a previously submitted value?

Yes when i submit all datat on the form should be presisted in db. It may have more than one java objects so it should persist on its own table.

When the data is on edit mode each submission will then handle update to existing objects with a session id

Do you have preference on how you access the table? Web service, Java delegate, etc ?

Not planned much about reporting frameworks. May be we use jasper engine for that we only need simple sql queries.

@Scorpion are you using camunda as inside of a process application as a embedded BPM, or is camunda a separate app that you are interacting with through the Camunda API + Camunda Tasklist ?

Hi @StephenOTT ,

Am not using camunda with any application . Am using it as separate app without any other application dependent .

Thanks
John

@StephenOTT , Hope you respond to this thread .

Thanks
John

@Scorpion

Few options come to mind (opinionated, and others may have different view) :

1. Setup a second database to store your data. Essentially don’t store your data int the same Camunda database. This way you can scale and manage camunda without thought about your persistent data.

2. Create some java delegates (https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.5/user-guide/process-engine/delegation-code/) to read and write data to your second DB.

3. Create web services and interact in that format. I have had a lot of success with using http://deployd.com. Even has a JS lib you can use on the front end to access the data directly through the forms.

My preference is the web services for interoperability and interactions with other systems.

If you require transaction integration with the Camunda transaction, using Java EE and more specifically JPA features could be interesting. See the Java EE getting started guide for an example that persists custom data via JPA.

Cheers,
Thorben