Starter project architecture and best practices

Hello everyone, I really appreciate in advance your help and guidance.

I’m trying to create a full web application where BPMN processes are driving the design. I need standard web application features like a database back-end, transaction management, custom user interface and so on.

Now I am not sure how to prepare my project? Do I start with a blank maven project and define processes in it and then deploy the generated war file into the pre-packaged distribution? or do I download the whole pre-packaged distro as the code base (to commit into my repository)?

Please note:

• I want to reuse the existing webapps (cockpit, task, admin)
  • I want to add my custom logic and database / domain

Can I do all of this with a standalone application? Or must I integrate Camunda with a web framework to get full functionality? If I must integrate, how do I handle the existing webapps (cockpit, task, admin)?

I guess I’m just trying to wrap my head around the basics? I want to create a repository to start working, and I want to know what is the preferred deployment strategy? My project is not complex, so I prefer the simplest possible approach.

Again, thank you for any help provided.

Cheers,

Taher

I think your request is so broad it is hard to know what to offer.

Perhaps start by deploying the pre-built example app. Then add a database. Then start writing business processes. Then play with the REST interface.

My gut feeling is that you could deploy the pre-built app linked to below, add a database, and then communicate with the camunda instance over REST and meet all your needs. But I’m on my first cumunda implementation so take that with several grains of salt.
https://camunda.com/download/

Thank you Tim, yeah my question is broad because I’m trying to grok architecture.

When you said start with the pre-built app and then add a database, does that mean I will have two databases, one for camunda for its apps, and one for my custom domain? Also, if I create a transaction (e.g. create a new customer activity) where do I apply a transaction? Does camunda offer it or do I need to roll my own transaction manager?