Camunda Admin GUI Idle Timeout

Is there any way to set the session idle timeout to a larger (or infinite) value in the Admin GUI for Camunda 7.4.5 EE running on the WildFly distribution? I realize session timeouts have a purpose, but it’s very tedious to have to constantly log back in.

What might have been a similar question in the old forum pointed at this page, but there’s insufficient detail to understand how this is actually implemented.

http://www.mkyong.com/servlet/how-to-configure-the-session-timeout-in-servlet/

The only “web.xml” file in a running instance of Camunda are these:

$JBOSS_HOME/standalone/tmp/vfs/temp/temp…/camunda-webapp-ee-jboss-7.4.5-ee.war…/WEB-INF/web.xml

$JBOSS_HOME/standalone/tmp/vfs/temp/temp…/camunda-engine-rest-7.4.5-ee.war…/WEB-INF/web.xml

Neither of these references session timeout.

Hi,

Configuration of the timeout for web sessions is standardized by the servlet specification (see section 14.4 discussing the element of web.xml):

When no session-timeout is set in the web.xml of the web application, the container itself sets a default timeout. The length of it may vary from server to server.
So to be sure, include the snippet you linked into the Camunda Webapp’s web.xml.

I created CAM-5871 to provide a default session-timeout of 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Christian

It would be better if this were configurable on a user-by-user basis.

So, what you’re saying is that the current version does not explicitly set it. Where, specifically, in Camunda 7.4.5 and/or the WildFly distribution would I set this? Is it something that must be set a compile time (which would be a hassle as it would require me to compile the process engine).

Thanks.

To make it configurable on a user-by-user basis, the development effort would be enormous and would add a lot of unnecessary complexity for such a simple feature.

To configure it for the Camunda Webapp, go to $WILDFLY_HOME/standalone/deployments and insert the following snippet into the WEB-INF/web.xml of your camunda-webapp-ee-jboss-7.4.5-ee.war:

<session-config>
  <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>

Or you could change the default session-timeout Wildfly sets, when a web application does not specify one.
This seems to be possible by modifying the undertow subsystem configuration, see this thread in the jboss developer forum.

Copied from the thread:

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:undertow:3.1">  
  <!-- ... -->  
  <servlet-container name="default" default-session-timeout="30">  
    <!-- ... -->  
  </servlet-container>  
  <!-- ... -->  
</subsystem>

Cheers,
Christian

I was able to configure the timeout satisfactorily. I just think it would be a nice convenience if this value could be set in a GUI, but I understand the challenges that might present.