Unable to configure Postgres DB in Pre-Packaged Distribution of Camunda

Hi fellow Camundons,

I am tring to set up Postgres DB in a pre packaged version of Camunda BPM.
I made the following changes in server.xml file :

and in bpm-platform.xml

property name=“databaseSchemaUpdate”>false</property

By following from the forum and the documentation.
Here is attached the error log :
catalina.2020-01-06.log (39.1 KB)

I don’t know what I am missing here.

Thank you,
Prateek

Hi @prateek_gulati,

you have to add the JDBC driver for the postgresQL database into the server/lib folder.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Thank for the replying @Ingo_Richtsmeier. I did paste the jdbc based on your suggestion

But now camunda automatically shuts down when i start it,the brower opens up the welcome page(http://localhost:8080/camunda-welcome/index.html) but nothing appears as the server shuts down. Can you help me with the same?

Attaching the log file -
catalina.2020-01-06.log (62.9 KB)

@prateek_gulati you need to set this property to true . It will create the required table and index required for application during startup. If you have already created the table and index then you can set the flag as false. If the flag is false and tables and indexes not found then application will fail to start.

Hi @prateek_gulati,

in contrast to @aravindhrs’s post I would recommend to create the database table with a different user than the user configured in the datasource.

For security reasons, the datasource user should only get privileges to create, read, update and delete data and not to create tables. A quote from https://security.berkeley.edu/education-awareness/best-practices-how-tos/system-application-security/database-hardening-best:

Users are granted the minimal permissions necessary for their job function in the database.

The user with create table privileges can run the scripts from the sql folder of the distribution.

Hope this helps, Ingo

1 Like

Thank you @aravindhrs. :slight_smile:

I agree with you @Ingo_Richtsmeier, but i needed this for a small project and needed to check the How to for setting up camunda with postgres.
Nonetheless, thank you for helping me and sharing an insightful article :slight_smile:

@Ingo_Richtsmeier is there a detailed document on how to setup a hardened Camunda platform and the operational processes involved to support it? (like database schema patches on version upgrades)

I am in a financial environment and the DBAs lock things down. I need to know what the end to end database maintenance looks like.

Thanks.
-Doug

Hi @DGilmour22,

from my experience (long time before devops became popular) DB admins in a restrictive area like banking have their tools to handle the upgrades and DB changes. And, of course, they want to know what’s going on in their database.

We had to talk to them, but they were friendly and supportive people.

I handed them the upgrade scripts from the sql/ folder of any distro and they applied the scripts for us.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Ok thanks. But is there anything that details out what permissions the Camunda code needs on the database? Is only Read/Write enough? Or are there other permissions that are required to function properly?