Version tag management

Hello

I would like to use the version tag attribute during the process start. Is there any new startprocessByKey like API that I can run the actual tag version?
Or do you have any suggestion for the question?

Thanks and regards: Gábor

@Gabor_Sandor

Based on docs you would have to query for the ID of the version. The problem is that there is version and versionTag. version is controlled by Camunda and versionTag is controlled by the user, and can be duplicates.

example:

{
  "id": "ExternalJSONTest:10:482da287-3961-11e6-89a3-0242ac110001",
  "key": "ExternalJSONTest",
  "category": "http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn",
  "description": null,
  "name": "External Json Test",
  "version": 10,
  "resource": "externalJsonTest.bpmn",
  "deploymentId": "4824eff3-3961-11e6-89a3-0242ac110001",
  "diagram": null,
  "suspended": false,
  "tenantId": null,
  "versionTag": "1.0"
},
{
  "id": "ExternalJSONTest:11:6152670c-3961-11e6-89a3-0242ac110001",
  "key": "ExternalJSONTest",
  "category": "http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn",
  "description": null,
  "name": "External Json Test",
  "version": 11,
  "resource": "externalJsonTest.bpmn",
  "deploymentId": "614bb048-3961-11e6-89a3-0242ac110001",
  "diagram": null,
  "suspended": false,
  "tenantId": null,
  "versionTag": "1.0"
},

You could do a GET /process-definition and use the query parameters: version or versionTag or versionTagLike, and name. So you filter by the process name and the specific versionTag you are looking for (if you use versionTag, you may get multiple process versions in the response).

Once you get the specific definition, you will have the Id of the process (and tenant info if needed), which you can use to call: POST /process-definition/{id}/start

Hello

I am using the Java API-s. I know that there can be more workarounds. Before the version tag attribute had worked this feature because I can define any extended parameters.
Thank you very much the response.

@Gabor_Sandor, i looked into the same issue you raise. The problem seems to revolve around the fact that the Version number and Key of the processes are always unique. But the VersionTag is not unique. So you cannot start a process by the versionTag, unless we were to always assume to use the “latest” occurrence of the version tag.