Why is it not possible to deploy Camunda Web Apps separately from Engine

I am using camunda-spring-boot-starter to just embed Camunda engine in one of my Spring boot Micro service.
However i need to remotely deploy the Camunda Web Apps ( Admin, cockpit , Tasklist ) in a seperate server and access the process states from Engine deployed in the micro service.

I went through this post Deploy camunda webapps separately from the engine which tell sit is not possible.

But if i include REST API’s in my engine deployed in Microservice, is there any way i can connect engine to a remotely deployed Cockpit?

@abhishekrajapurohit, the camunda-springboot architecture which you’re referring is incorrect. You can run the camunda webapps in separate node, but still it requires process engine with job executor disabled and connected to same database. So in that case i would suggest you to setup the Heterogeneous cluster setup.

This is the best way (homogeneous cluster) of setting up camunda-springboot architecture.

But if you’re looking for heterogeneous cluster setup of camunda-springboot refer the-job-executor and cluster-setups.

1 Like

Hi,

Have a look at this standalone deployment part of the documentation.

You could run a headless microservice with embedded engine. Your standalone cockpit could be configured to access the micro-service’s database and thus you have a remote cockpit…

regards

Rob

2 Likes

@Webcyberrob the standalone cockpit is also required process engine (same instance) with job executor disabled right.

Hi Aravindhrs,

The standalone cockpit has an embedded engine. Hence as long as that engine points at a database, it can effectively ‘remote’ manage remote nodes which are doing the actual engine processing.

YesI believe the job executor in the embedded cockpit is disabled, otherwise you get other complications.

A while back I configured a tomcat instance with multiple datasources, each pointing at different engine databases. Then you configure a multi-tenant engine in your standalone cockpit. That way you can have one standalone cockpit instance monitoring many remote engines (eg remote databases).

regards

Rob

2 Likes

Yes my understanding was correct :+1: . Job executor must be disabled in that node if we want to setup only webapps for monitoring.

This was great solution.:ok_hand:.

Configuring multiple datasources is possible with tomcat distribution. In this case, camunda spring boot setup for webapps(monitoring) will not possible with connecting multiple camunda instances.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @aravindhrs. How do i disable Job Executor ? If i am installing a stand alone war in tomcat.

Thanks a lot @Webcyberrob , I will deploy in tomcat a standalone war and connect to h2 db running in my Microservice and check.

Refer the docs: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.12/user-guide/process-engine/the-job-executor/#job-executor-activation

<property name="jobExecutorActivate" value="false" />

Hey @abhishekrajapurohit,
I am trying to deploy webapps as a microservice, did you find any lead, if so, could you tell me the steps?