Zbctl status doesn't indicate Leader

Hello. I’m new to Zeebe and I’m following the tutorial. I’ve edited the zeebe.cfg.toml, started elasticsearch, and started the zeebe broker. When I check the status, there is no leader listed, like I see in the documentation. I’m using MacOS. Please help!

sh-3.2$ ./bin/zbctl.darwin status
Cluster size: 1
Partitions count: 1
Replication factor: 1
Brokers:
  Broker 0 - 0.0.0.0:26501
sh-3.2$

After the line with Broker, the tutorial shows there should be

Partition 0 : Leader

Moreover, looking in the shell where I’m running zeebe broker, the STDOUT indicates an exception:

Exception in thread "0.0.0.0:26501-zb-actors-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /private/var/folders/41/q4d0y1454bj_tdlqnwbwb4f80000gp/T/librocksdbjni5466524556437076851.jnilib: dlopen(/private/var/folders/41/q4d0y1454bj_tdlqnwbwb4f80000gp/T/librocksdbjni5466524556437076851.jnilib, 1): Symbol not found: __ZdlPvSt11align_val_t
  Referenced from: /private/var/folders/41/q4d0y1454bj_tdlqnwbwb4f80000gp/T/librocksdbjni5466524556437076851.jnilib
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
 in /private/var/folders/41/q4d0y1454bj_tdlqnwbwb4f80000gp/T/librocksdbjni5466524556437076851.jnilib
	at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1938)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1821)
	at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)
	at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)
	at org.rocksdb.NativeLibraryLoader.loadLibraryFromJar(NativeLibraryLoader.java:78)
	at org.rocksdb.NativeLibraryLoader.loadLibrary(NativeLibraryLoader.java:56)
	at org.rocksdb.RocksDB.loadLibrary(RocksDB.java:64)
	at org.rocksdb.RocksDB.<clinit>(RocksDB.java:35)
	at io.zeebe.db.impl.rocksdb.ZeebeRocksDbFactory.<clinit>(ZeebeRocksDbFactory.java:35)
	at io.zeebe.logstreams.impl.service.LogBlockIndexService.start(LogBlockIndexService.java:40)
	at io.zeebe.servicecontainer.impl.ServiceController$AwaitDependenciesStartedState.onDependenciesAvailable(ServiceController.java:182)
	at io.zeebe.servicecontainer.impl.ServiceController$AwaitDependenciesStartedState.accept(ServiceController.java:135)
	at io.zeebe.servicecontainer.impl.ServiceController$AwaitDependenciesStartedState.accept(ServiceController.java:129)
	at io.zeebe.servicecontainer.impl.ServiceController.onServiceEvent(ServiceController.java:119)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorJob.invoke(ActorJob.java:90)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorJob.execute(ActorJob.java:53)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorTask.execute(ActorTask.java:189)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorThread.executeCurrentTask(ActorThread.java:154)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorThread.doWork(ActorThread.java:135)
	at io.zeebe.util.sched.ActorThread.run(ActorThread.java:112)
13:20:13.147 [io.zeebe.gateway.impl.broker.cluster.BrokerTopologyManagerImpl] [gateway-zb-actors-0] INFO  io.zeebe.transport.endpoint - Registering endpoint for node '0' with address '0.0.0.0:26501' on transport 'broker-client'
13:20:13.148 [io.zeebe.gateway.impl.broker.cluster.BrokerTopologyManagerImpl] [gateway-zb-actors-0] INFO  io.zeebe.transport.endpoint - Registering endpoint for node '0' with address '0.0.0.0:26501' on transport 'broker-client-internal'

For fun, I tried to deploy it to my CentOS 7 box.

This is my java installation:

[iot-dal kwalker@eng-kw01 zeebe-broker-0.17.0]$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b04, mixed mode)

I edited the zeebe.cfg.toml, ran ./bin/elasticsearch, then ./bin/broker (no exceptions listed in STDOUT logging).

My goal is to deploy the bpmn file that I created in the Zeebe Modeler. I have Operate running and can view the application running in my browser. I get an error when I attempt to deploy:

$ bin/zbctl version
zbctl 0.17.0 (commit: 856aca0a)
$ bin/zbctl status
Error: rpc error: code = DeadlineExceeded desc = context deadline exceeded
Usage:
  zbctl status [flags]

Flags:
  -h, --help   help for status

Global Flags:
      --address string   Specify the Zeebe addressFlag
$ bin/zbctl deploy order-process.bpmn 
Error: rpc error: code = DeadlineExceeded desc = context deadline exceeded
Usage:
  zbctl deploy <workflowPath> [flags]

Flags:
  -h, --help   help for deploy

Global Flags:

Hi @kwalker17, thanks for letting us know about this and sorry you’ve run into these problems. Quick question about the first issue you saw on your Mac: could you send the MacOS version you’re running?

We have seen an issue where the broker doesn’t start correctly on older versions of MacOS, and we’re tracking it here: https://github.com/zeebe-io/zeebe/issues/1517

Looking into the errors you’re getting on Linux and will follow up there, too.

Regards,
Mike

Hello @wints, thank you for replying! My MacOS is 10.10.5. I’m not allowed to update it to the current OS due to constraints at work. My CentOS 7 VM is mine to do with as I please however. I look forward to a way to continue moving forward, as it is my task to evaluate if we can use Zeebe in our project.

Is there a recommended minimum macOS version? We are upgrading my iMac to 10.11 now. I’ll try it again soon.

Best regards,
Kim

Hi Kim,

We haven’t dug into the MacOS version issue yet, so we’re not sure where we start to run into problems. Please do let us know what you see with 10.11.

Regarding what you’re seeing on Linux–that’s a gRPC error (Zeebe uses gRPC under the hood for client-gateway communication). We’re still not sure exactly what’s causing it at first glance. One question: is the broker running in the same environment where you’re running the CLI commands?

Regards,
Mike

Yes, same linux environment… same VM, 4 shells running concurrently.

MacOS 10.11.6, same problem when checking status and attempting a deploy:

sh-3.2$ bin/zbctl.darwin status
Cluster size: 1
Partitions count: 1
Replication factor: 1
Brokers:
  Broker 0 - 0.0.0.0:26501
sh-3.2$ bin/zbctl.darwin deploy order-process.bpmn
Error: rpc error: code = Internal desc = Unexpected error occurred during the request processing
Usage:
  zbctl deploy <workflowPath> [flags]

Flags:
  -h, --help   help for deploy

Global Flags:

My Mac OS was upgraded to 10.13.4 and now I see a Leader with execution of status. I was also able to deploy a bpmn. I’ll have to continue the experiment in the GUI when I’m at my desk Friday morning.

We still would be interested in a LINUX solution, as that is likely how we would deploy it.

-kim

2 Likes