Are there instances of event based processes?

Hello,

in our current project, we’re thinking about using the “event based processes” (EBP) feature of Optimize with external event ingestion (we use Camunda 7).

My question is: After we have modeled an EBP (say, manually in the Optimize GUI),

1. Can we create “instances” of it? Or is there just one instance of each EBP model?
  2. Can the mapping of events to EBP instances be performed programmatically? Or does it have to happen manually? How do events get assigned to a particular instance of an EBP (if multiple instances are possible)?
  3. Can EBPs be used to create dashboards? I tried but a EBP was not in the list of the available process models when creating a report.

I could not find an answer to these questions in the docs.

Thank you!

Hi @fml2 ,

Can you clarify what you mean with “instance” here? If you are referring to having multiple process instances per event based process yes, this is possible.

The mapping can only be done in the UI. In the case of external events, a process instance is correlated to an event via the traceId. For Camunda engine events, you can select the correlation to either occur via their business key or a chosen variable name. This is determined when adding the data source during mapping of an event based process.

To create Dashboards or Reports on a given EBP the process first needs to be published, then they should become available for analysis.

Thank you @Helene for the quick response!

Yes, I meant exactly that. However, I could not find a way to create an instance. I just could assign imported events at the EBP model level.

I’ll try further. Is there a step-by-step documentation of how to do that? E.g. the information about the correlation of the events to instances is not present in the camunda docs IMO.

Thank you!

Hello @fml2,

the step by step guid is this: - Event-based processes | Camunda Platform 8 Docs

There are more resources in the docs:
Configuration

Use Events-based Processes

Auto-generate Process (BETA)

We are happy about a feedback how helpful these documents are.

Regards Tobias

@Helene , @Tobias_Conz : Thank you for the hints! With them, I’ve managed to figure out how it works. The questions that arose after that, have been posted as separate threads :slight_smile: