BpmnError from Business Rule Task

Hi,
I often have DMN tables where I have a rule which captures an error condition. Hence my DMN output may often have a ‘status’ variable where I can put values such as ERROR. In the past I would test the status in a subsequent gate.

I wnated to try throwing a BpmnError from the rule task instead. I tried throwing a BpmnError using scripting in the input/output mapping. This was just treated as a runtime exception rather than caught as a BpmnError.

Hence it is syntactically correct to throw a BpmnError from a business rule task? If I am using DMN tables, how can I throw a BpmnError?

Update: I found that I can throw a BpmnError from an execution listener end event, however behaviour is strange. At the process level, the process behaves and process flow is as expected, however the engine JVM console reports a severe engine exception and prints a BPMN stacktrace without a jvm runtime stacktrace…

regards

Rob

Hi @Webcyberrob,

I think what you should do is explicitly add throw error event if your DMN decision result is matching some criteria to your business process.

Would that work for you?
Askar

1 Like

Hi Askar
With regard to the two process models below…

I can easily realise process model A.

What I wanted to implement was process model B as this is more consistent with BpmnError from service tasks etc. Hence I have tried to throw a BpmnError from script in output mappings and execution listener end events.

When I use a DMN table with scripting for output mapping, a BpmnError is treated as a java runtime error. If I use an execution listner on the end event and I test the return value from the DMN engine and throw a BpmnError, I get the desired behaviour, however as I mentioned, the console logs a sever engine exception with a BPMN stack trace.

Hence my question is, can I achieve process model B using a DMN decision table?

regards

Rob

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’d like to see that, too, because it makes refactoring models much easier, if you could replace an existing service task with error handling by a DMN table. So implementation of the decision logic is changed, the whole error handling around it can stay like it was before.

Cheers, Ben