Calling camForm from Custom Script in Task List

Hello!

Is it possible to call camForm from the Custom Scripts in Task List? I see that I can inject camApi. I need this in order to save variables into the process between process steps.

Thanks and kind regards,
Deniss

Hi Deniss

Heres a link to the docs which indicate how to create a new variable within a form and inject it into the process using camForm [1]

regards

Rob

[1] https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.7/reference/embedded-forms/json-data/#creating-a-new-json-variable

@Webcyberrob,

Thanks, but I’m not talking about variable manipulation from the embedded forms, but from Custom Script: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.3/guides/user-guide/#tasklist-customizing-custom-scripts

@sebastian.stamm maybe you can advise? :slight_smile:

Thanks and kind regards,
Deniss

Hi Deniss,

custom scripts are conceptually different than embedded forms. Custom scripts get executed only once when the page loads. You can of curse write an angular module in the custom script that you can then inject in an embedded form.

However, I think for saving variables in the process between process steps, you should actually save them as process variables.

Cheers
Sebastian

@sebastian.stamm Thanks Sebastian!

I have a JSON object variable in the process, that was created before in the previous process step and I want to work with it in Custom Scripts and then after save it for future manipulation in further steps. Is there a way to do that? Maybe by injecting camApi into my custom scripts?

Thanks and kind regards,
Deniss

Hi Deniss,

camAPI is an angular service for the camunda-bpm-sdk. It basically allows you to make REST-requests. But you can use custom scripts to create a new angular service that you can inject in embedded forms. You can check out an example about how to use custom scripts and read more about angular services.

The variable itself should definitely be saved as process variable. Otherwise you could lose the variable if the user refreshes the page or clears the browser cache. It should look something like this:

1. Embedded form for a task retrieves the process variable that was created in a previous step
  2. Embedded form calls some angular service that was created in a custom script to work with the variable
  3. Embedded form creates or updates a process variable with the result of this work
  4. Variable is saved as process variable

Does this help you?

Cheers
Sebastian

1 Like

Hi @sebastian.stamm thanks for your outlined solutions.

That’s basicaly how I did it also, but wanted to know if there was a cleaner solution.

Kind regards,
Deniss