Camunda -8 modeler properties configuration

@StephenOTT how can configure listener and script task in camunda - 8 and get processed by zebee client?
Are camunda 8 stable and capable to process all BPMN 2.0 component?

@Niall
Do you think? whatever features was camunda-7 supporting will have the same feature in camunda-8. For me looks camunda-8 modeler is completely different than camunda-7 modeler as many options is not there to configure the properties.

For Ex: Listener, script task and user task and Exteral task.

Hey @yadav1990! :wave:

1. Here is a BPMN coverage of Camunda Platform 8 at this point in time:
    BPMN coverage | Camunda Platform 8 Docs
  2. Camunda 8 does not feature any execution or take listeners anymore. If you want to do any “data-manipulation” which previously has been done via scripting, you can use Feel for instance.
  3. Imho Camunda 8 will support most of the crucial features C7 has supported. Hence the architecture is totally different, some things are not possible anymore. (e.g. Listeners, JUEL, Java Delegates)

Btw. for using a script task you need to do it “externally”. It is comparable to an external task. There are no more inline scripts available.

Hopefully this was helpful for you!
Best,
Thomas

2 Likes

Thanks @Hafflgav for clarification.

Do you think the C8 would create the history and impact on the market and all the organizations need to migrate from C7 to C8 if they are using C7 since long time(community version)?

Last but not least

What is the best part of C8 that will force to all the industries to move out from C7 to C8?

TIA.

Personally I think that C8 will for sure establish on the market and has very valid use cases.
On the other side I still see a need for C7 which works in a transactional fashion and can be embedded in a Spring Boot application.

I cannot imagine C7 being gone in a few years, even if it runs out of official support. In the end it is an open source tooling which can be forked and maintained by someone else.

Puh, best part about C8… :thinking:
I would say it is the reengineered process engine which works cloud natively. But with that benefits there are also some drawbacks. Depends on the use case.
For sure it is easier for Citizen Developer to get started with C8 nowadays. You do not necessarily need a Java Dev as in C7.

I am not completely agreeing on C8 evaluation. In C7 we have the option to apply the inline script everywhere, even in condition to evaluate the Gateway.

Don’t know how far connector feature can be achieve in C8 as I can’t see/ don’t know how to evaluate and manipulate the connector output response and set/remove the result in process variable.

Last but not least- There is no visibility in camunda database schema and table as we had in C7.

That’s correct. :+1:
Though using listeners and scripts in BPMN is usually never a good idea since you want to strive for a clean separation of concerns. Meaning as few technical details and implementation in the business model as even possible.

As said, when it comes to manipulating data FEEL ist your way to go.

Exactly :+1: what I was looking is make camunda process less dependent on backend code and achieve through scripting as much as possible and reduced the number of release plan and dependency on backend services.

Scripting is always faster than java code.

Using scripting as much as possible is the bad practice here! :smiley:
You do not want to have implementation detail in your BPMN file. That’s the violation of the separation of concerns principle.

Rather use backend code! That is way less error prone.
Imho you really want to avoid inline scripts.

:thinking: Why do we need to write all the validation in backend Java code and increase the latency?

Let’s consider we have written some validation in backend and later we want to remove the validation then why we can’t control through the scripting instead of doing code changes and going for release?

As per microservice architecture- camunda service just need to start and complete the process and shouldn’t have any functional dependency on java side.

@StephenOTT @StephanHaarmann does C8 support Multi-tenancy feature ?

In Camunda 8, multi-tenancy is not yet supported, but it is something we plan to add in the future.

1 Like