Camunda 8 SelfHosting in Production environment and Free vs Enterprise

Hey Guys,

We are starting new to Camunda and planning to use in community edition for the first few years. Thought of starting with Camunda 8 Self hosting but got bunch of issues. Had following Question to the community

1. Using Camunda 8 Self Hosting in Production - I got issues while setting up Camunda 8 in development env. Is anyone using the Self-hosting community version in production, How is the experience.

2. Tasklist in Camunda 8 community edition - I believe Tasklist is not available in Free version of Camunda. Camunda 8 offers GraphQL api too for tasklist. Just the tasklist UI is not available in free edition or event Tasklist Api is not availabe in free edition. Basically if i want to use engine with User tasks in Production while using camunda 8 self hosting community edition, Can I do that?

3. Camunda 8 enterprise edition with Self Hosting - Can we self host and get commercial license later without goign to Saas ? The pricing varies for using it as Saas vs Self hosting but getting all the rich features

4. Starting with Camudna 7 - To leverage all the features if we start with Camunda 7, how bad or easy it would be to move to Camunda 8 later in few years. I believe Camunda 7 will still be supported for next 5 years, is that correct. Support meaning it will be mantained with no enhancements?

Appreaciate and pointer or help on this
thankyou

Hey @Sumant_Kumar! :slight_smile:
I am trying to give you at least a few answers here:

1. @Alexey_Vinogradov in one of our Camunda Champions. They use Zeebe in production as far as I know. - Feel free to share if you like to!
  2. To my knowledge Zeebe is the only component available for “free”. I have attached you a simple example about how to build a simple Tasklist without the GraphQL API.
    GitHub - camunda-community-hub/zeebe-simple-tasklist: Zeebe worker to manage manual/user tasks
  3. If you start with Camunda 8 and want to get the Commercial License later that is fine. There is no requirement to go SaaS.
  4. Dependant on your use-case you can start off with Camunda 7. If you decide on moving down this path I would be very careful about the architecture you choose. (e.g. no task listeners, remote engine, …)
    Generally, I would recommend using Camunda 8 if you are starting with a Greenfield Project.
    In this context support means: No new feature development, security fixes, etc.

Hopefully this was already helpful for you!
Best,
Thomas

P.S.: what problems did you run into hosting Camunda 8 in your dev-environment?

Thankyou @Hafflgav this is superhelpful, We are kindof following greenfield recommendation on our camunda7 design for an easy migration to future state.

A couple of links to further resources:

This blog post covers the licensing for the various components of Camunda Platform 8 in detail:

This blog post covers the greenfield recommendations for developing on Camunda 7 with a view to migrating in the future to Camunda Platform 8:

1 Like

Thankyou @jwulf