Camunda becoming a low code product?

Recently, there were some articles about the connectors in the new Camunda 8 product, e.g. here and here.

They contradict IMO to the attitude expressed in an earlier blog post by Jakob Freund where he stated that camunda is not a low code platform like some others but is a system doing one thing and doing it well. And geared towards developers.

Has Camunda changed their mind since then?

Thank you for the insights.

1 Like

Hi,
At this year’s Camunda Con, Bernd Ruecker and Daniel Meyer gave a keynote, which addressed (among other things) this question. If you are interested, you can watch the recording online:

4 Likes

In terms of Low Code or Pro Code - We’ve found that we can basically do both. We’re already creating APIs and SDKs for developers to connect to and rather than changing course we’re just building on top of that. You could use Camunda as a low code platform in certain cases (i.e. where connectors make sense) or you can decided not to use camunda with fully custom code. The 3rd option is that you can write your custom code and then use the connectors infrastructure to make that available to non-developers and were seeing large companies start to do this where process automation is becoming very common.

2 Likes

100%. We don’t do low code. We do a system that lets you build a low code system, if that’s what you want to do.

Flexibility and developer-friendliness is the game.

Josh

1 Like

I just think that if camunda as a company will have many product lines it its portfolio they will not be capable of keeping all of them at a high level and provide good support to all of them. I surely see the business case for the connectors & co.

1 Like

We have two product suites - Camunda 7 and now Camunda 8. We are transitioning between the two, with a crossover of years of support for Camunda 7 users.

Connectors is a programming pattern. There is literally nothing to it except programming convention. You could do exactly the same thing with Camunda 7, or with Camunda 8 without the connector framework by simply building a “connector framework” out of the existing pieces.

If you have a look into the source code, you’ll understand what I mean.

This is just a convention that is officially supported.

Anyone could have done this themselves, and if they did it in an open way and with enough commitment, it would have become the connector framework.

Josh