Camunda Platform 7.22: End of Support MariaDB

Why is MariaDB being discontinued for version 7.22? Is only a specific version being discontinued or the entire MariaDB?

Should I therefore opt for PostgreSQL for an installation?

I would prefer a MariaDB.

Hello @lul,

Supporting an environment involves continuous efforts to ensure and test compatibility with new versions. The adoption of MariaDB by Camunda users is low. Therefore, we decided to discontinue MariaDB entirely with 7.22 and for all upcoming versions.

PostgreSQL is a great alternative. Many Camunda users well adopt it.

Regards Tobias

1 Like

@Tobias_Conz , it’s not a good idea to directly copy the support for MariaDB when there are projects using MariaDB in production. In my case, it’s not possible to use any database other than MariaDB. I hope this isn’t a final decision. In my situation, and I believe it’s the same for others, this will create a lot of problems

Using PostgreSQL instead of MariaDB isn’t how things work in the real world. Changing just one setting in a database is a project in itself, so switching the entire database like that is not at all simple

Hello @Yon,

Our strategic decisions are based on the feedback of enterprise users. We value our community and their contribution, but we are also a business.

If you are an enterprise customer or want to be one, we are happy to connect you with our sales team. In case this is not an option for you, here are some more details that might buy you some time:

• MariaDB is using the same integration as MySQL. We expect MariaDB to be still usable with upcoming Camunda versions, but we no longer test this in our release pipeline.

We hope for your understanding.

Regards Tobias