Camunda Platform 8.0 - Data objects missing

Hello Camunda Community,
when calling the Desktop Modeler and creating a BPMN with the Camunda platform version 8, the data objects are missing in the palette.

Since version 8, the data objects can no longer be found in the palette. An attempt to reactivate them via the “reduced-palette” plugin is not possible even with “Documentation”.

Comparison version 7, version 8

After implementing the plugin

These lines were previously commented out. Reactivating the lines has no effect on the display of the palette.

client/custom/CustomPaletteProvider.js

'create.data-object': createAction(
      'bpmn:DataObjectReference', 'data-object', 'bpmn-icon-data-object'
),
'create.data-store': createAction(
  'bpmn:DataStoreReference', 'data-store', 'bpmn-icon-data-store'
),

I would be happy if someone can explain to me what needs to be done to get the icons back into the palette.

Thanks a lot

PS: I am not a JS expert. We use Camunda Modeller only for graphical representation of processes. Data objects are necessary in our case, even if we follow Camunda’s advice to use data objects sparingly.

Hi @Tauwin ,

Unsupported elements are not displayed. Not all elements from Camunda Platform 7 are currently supported in Camunda Platform 8.

If you use the diagrams just for a graphical representation, you should create a C7 diagram, rather than a C8 one.

HTH,
Josh

3 Likes

Thanks Josh for the info. I am still interested in understanding how to implement custom symbols. But I’ll have to take some more time on that.

Kind regards
Tauwin

Hi @Tauwin and Camunda community.

I have encountered the same problem and, like yourself, I am using Camunda to represent graphically some processes for my organization. I built a model on Camunda 8 and noticed halfway through the lack of data objects.

The solution @jwulf offers works. However, I found no way of importing the model I already built on Camunda 8 into Camunda 7.

Does anyone know if that would be possible?

Thank you.
Rodrigo.

Hi @Rodrigo ,

This is possible, but it requires some hand-editing of the XML. If you’re using Desktop Modeler you can open a Camunda Platform 7 model and copy the header information:

<bpmn:definitions xmlns:bpmn="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL" xmlns:bpmndi="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/DI" xmlns:dc="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DC" id="Definitions_0z2ezl1" targetNamespace="http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn" xmlns:modeler="http://camunda.org/schema/modeler/1.0" exporter="Camunda Modeler" exporterVersion="5.0.0" modeler:executionPlatform="Camunda Platform" modeler:executionPlatformVersion="7.17.0">

Then replace the header information in the C8 model with that header information. It will then show up as a C7 model.

Hope that helps,
dg

This is very error-prone and a bad ux practice IMO.
Why not add an option line there ?

Capture

It is where it should live

EDITED:

The v8 header that needs to be change

<bpmn:definitions
    xmlns:bpmn="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL"
    xmlns:bpmndi="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/DI"
    xmlns:dc="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DC"
    xmlns:di="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DI"
    xmlns:modeler="http://camunda.org/schema/modeler/1.0"
    id="Definitions_04kb6en"
    targetNamespace="http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn"
    exporter="Camunda Modeler"
    exporterVersion="5.0.0"
    modeler:executionPlatform="Camunda Cloud"
    modeler:executionPlatformVersion="8.0.0">

to be replaced with

<bpmn:definitions
  xmlns:bpmn="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL"
  xmlns:bpmndi="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/DI"
  xmlns:dc="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DC"
  xmlns:modeler="http://camunda.org/schema/modeler/1.0"
  id="Definitions_04kb6en"
  targetNamespace="http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn"
  exporter="Camunda Modeler"
  exporterVersion="5.0.0"
  modeler:executionPlatform="Camunda Platform"
  modeler:executionPlatformVersion="7.17.0">

that will certainly leads to overwrite an (unique) id , and miss a xmlns:di attribute

  • result of adding the xmlns:di attribute

  • without adding the xmlns:di attribute, there is no error but no reactivation of the dataobject too on my platform.

The only way to get it correctly currently for me is to upload it at demo.bpmn.io and redownload it.
Here is the new header

<bpmn:definitions
  xmlns:bpmn="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL"
  xmlns:bpmndi="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/DI"
  xmlns:dc="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DC"
  xmlns:di="http://www.omg.org/spec/DD/20100524/DI"
  xmlns:modeler="http://camunda.org/schema/modeler/1.0"
  id="Definitions_04kb6en"
  targetNamespace="http://bpmn.io/schema/bpmn"
  exporter="bpmn-js (https://demo.bpmn.io)"
  exporterVersion="9.2.0"
  modeler:executionPlatform="Camunda Cloud"
  modeler:executionPlatformVersion="8.0.0">

But this is not very safe IMO eg. very demo and not very onprem
BTW camunda modeler v8 is able to show the dataobject generated at bpmn.io but does not display the palette again to edit it.