Camunda RUN - where to add plugin dependency connect

Hello, I am new to Camunda and absolutely new to Java, Spring and all the around.

I am happy to find Camunda Run. It is clear and easy to start.

I have some problem now.

If I try to deploy some BPMN with connector task I got error:

ENGINE-09005 Could not parse BPMN process. Errors: * One of the attributes ‘class’, ‘delegateExpression’, ‘type’, or ‘expression’ is mandatory on serviceTask.

I have found tis article

where is said I need to add dependency and enable connect plugin. Please can you give me an advice where to add and enable the Connect plugin in Camunda RUN?

Thank you in advance
David

Hi @david.krcil

Thanks from coming all the way over the forum.
This question has been brought up as part of this topic:

In short - you need to put the required jar in the userlib folder.

One little piece of advice though - i wouldn’t suggest using connectors unless you’ve really ruled out the other options, it can sometimes cause issues in versioning and maintenance when in production.

1 Like

Hi @Niall

Thank you very much for your fast advice. I am going ahead to try as described.

Please, you mentioned some other better options than connector.

I am designing and developing some quit enterprise solution based on python, Django, Angular, …

I am for approx one year looking at Camunda. I have done all necessary part of system and in next months I would like to start to learn and develop workflow integration.

I would like use REST as a main communication protocol. Please could you give me a hint what should I prefer to connector? I will need develop complete CRUD and originally I intended to use connector for Read operations of the catalogue, taxonomy, orders, bookings, and all remaining.

Thank you in advance
David

Hi David,

Consider using external tasks - we even have a python client.
Check out this tutorial video (it uses JS but the principal is the important part) if you want to understand how they work, they’re much better supported, are more robust and are easier to maintain.

1 Like

Hi @Niall

Thank you again. It worked in a perfect way for me.

Please may I have one more question regarding Groovy script enabling?

I got: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘groovy’: scriptEngine is null and do not know how to enable it

Thank you in advance
David

Basically the same procedure - just pop the groove lib into the userlib folder and it should be picked up

2 Likes

Hi Niall, I will study it. Python client is a perfect news for me!
Thank you very much

1 Like

Hi @Niall

I am studying the Camunda. I love it to be honest.

Poor knowledge of all of related frameworks is my best enemy. But I can overcome I trust.

Sorry for next green naive question.

I am following your guide at

I can’t find the way how to deploy it to the Camunda RUN. I tried coping the war file to the all possible directories. It does not work.

By next experiments I found: If I copy the whole project to the /configuration/resources folder and delete the target dir inside new project (because if I let it there Camunda Run crashes during start due some dependency problem I can understand jet) many things become to work.

Excepting java classes - I am still getting the error:

The process could not be started. : Cannot instantiate process definition SimpleDemo:1:bf143795-f97e-11ea-b65f-e6a9a193f6f7: ENGINE-09008 Exception while instantiating class ‘com.camunda.demo.SimpleDemo.CheckWeatherDelegate’: ENGINE-09017 Cannot load class ‘com.camunda.demo.SimpleDemo.CheckWeatherDelegate’: com.camunda.demo.SimpleDemo.CheckWeatherDelegate

Please can you give me an advice how to correctly deploy the demo to Camunda RUN?

Thank you in advance

David

Hi David,

This is because Camunda BPM Run is intended for a specific architecture.
In which you wouldn’t deploy a project to it but rather you would deploy just the process model via the modeler or rest API and have your code run as external tasks.

To deploy a WAR file you much use Camunda deployed to an application service like Tomcat or Wildfly…

Hi Niall, thank you
I will try some another way with Tomcat or Wildly
David

Hi Niall would it be the same for Spring framework as for Tomcat and Wildfly?
Thank you
David

if you are new to spring/java and camunda,
i would recommend you to go through this playlist i found useful,

@camunda please let me know if sharing links is spam i can delete the post.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi @teja_polisetty

No problem at all - happy to see someone has taken the time to create a a nice list of tutorial videos.

@david.krcil - generally if you want to use spring boot then it has a very different architecture - I’d suggest following this video:

1 Like

@teja_polisetty thank you for new inspiration stack!

@Niall thank you a lot again. I am still in process of decision which server I will use in production. And Spring boot is one of variant for sure.

As I am getting in topic - slowly but yes … with all the videos guidance from you and online documentation, I managed run Camunda with Tomacat or Wildfly. I found Wildfly the most comfortable local development way due to direct deployment from Eclipse to local server (showed in one of your videos)

Please could you tell why in recent version of http://start.camunda.com does not contain Database selection the Postgree option? Is there any reason for why not to use this database engine?

Thank you
David