Camunda version upgrade in SpringMVC

Hello,

We’re using Camunda distribution installed on self owned tomcat app server (not a prepacked tomcat distribution). Its a spring mvc maven project and below is snippet of pom.xml

<dependencies>
	<dependency>
		<groupId>org.camunda.bpm</groupId>
		<artifactId>camunda-bom</artifactId>
		<version>7.10.0</version>
		<scope>import</scope>
		<type>pom</type>
	</dependency>
    <groupId>org.camunda.bpm</groupId>
	<artifactId>camunda-engine</artifactId>
	<scope>provided</scope>

We’re planning to migrate to camunda version 7.17.0. It’s unclear from the documentation and have the below questions:
Q1. Do we need to replace the camunda libraries in the tomcat lib folder?
Q2. Will there be any db schema changes? If yes, where can I find the MSSQL scripts?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Arjun1007,

yes to both questions.

All Camunda libraries have the version in their file name.

You can find the upgrade scripts inside the zip in the folder upgrade: JFrog.

Hope this helps, Ingo

@Ingo_Richtsmeier thanks for your response.
The app is working fine with Camunda 7.10.0 however the current tomcat distribution require an upgrade from 9.0.24 to 9.0.72.

Initially, we installed camunda dist in tomcat as mentioned here
and copied all libraries from the $TOMCAT_DISTRIBUTION/lib/ folder to the Tomcat library folder $TOMCAT_HOME/lib.

If we just upgrade the tomcat app server, does we need copy/repeat the step of copying all corresponding version of camunda libraries to tomcat/lib folder.
It would be great if there is a compatibility matrix wrt tomcat version. Thanks again!

Hi @Arjun1007,

I haven’t done an upgrade of a productive Tomcat installation by myself. And the migration guide on the Tomcat website doesn’t say anything if you should exchange the libraries or start by unzipping in a different directory.

Only if you have to serve 24/7 availability, you have to do the rolling upgrade from one minor version to the next. (Rolling Update | docs.camunda.org)

If you have a maintenance window, where you can shut down the server for a while, you can go directly from 7.10 to 7.19 with the libraries and run all upgrade scripts on the database.

Hope this helps, Ingo