Camunda version upgrade

Hi, I’m trying to update the Camunda version from 7.12 to 7.15 (community version), although I have seen Update from 7.12 to 7.13 | docs.camunda.org
however few things are still not clear for me:
If I’m using the community version, do I need to apply minor version patches? the docs say at point 1 to update minor version, however, the second point says " $DATABASENAME_engine_7.12_to_7.13.sql
The scripts update the database from one minor version to the next,"

so, since I need to update from 7.12 to 7.13, should I execute scripts:
7.12_patch_7.12.0_to_7.12.1.sql
7.12_patch_7.12.10_to_7.12.11.sql
7.12_patch_7.12.11_to_7.12.12.sql
7.12_to_7.13.sql
or just the last one?
and then repeat the execution for the next versions?

Hi @Cynizm, patches are only available to Enterprise Edition customers. The patches are rolled up into the next Community Edition release, however, so your only option is to apply each of the minor releases. The database scripts need to be run in sequential order ie 7.12 to 7.13 to 7.14, etc. They cannot be skipped. The jar files need not be updated in sequential order and can go from original release to target release. For more information see: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/latest/update/minor/

Joe

As you can see here:
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/latest/update/patch-level/

Patches are only available to Enterprise customers.

Joe

If you run the community edition, you still need to apply the patch scripts between the two minor versions. So the order

7.12_patch_7.12.0_to_7.12.1.sql
7.12_patch_7.12.10_to_7.12.11.sql
7.12_patch_7.12.11_to_7.12.12.sql
7.12_to_7.13.sql

is indeed the correct one. Then repeat for the next versions.

Cheers,
Thorben

1 Like

You can think of it this way: until the next minor version is released as the community edition, any patches to the current minor version are available only to enterprise customers. Once the new minor is released, the patch update scripts and the final version bump patch is released to all, including community edition. Since the final bump patch also needs to be applied by enterprise customers who upgrade, it only contains changes that were not already in the previous patches. So when upgrading CE, you need to apply all of the incremental patches of the previous minor and the bump patch. And so on for each version, if you’re going through multiple minors at once.