Camunda with Oracle Database

Dears,

Am new with Camunda BPM, and i need to use oracle database with Camunda, i followed the below documnet but still not working with me, can you give me documnet with clear steps to install Camunda with tomcat and oracle database.

the below document not clear with me
please advise.

Thanks And Regard,
Anas

I followed the below document:
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.6/installation/full/tomcat/manual/

Hi Anas,

what exactly went wrong when you tried to follow the guide? Maybe you could provide some more information or even a stack trace of what happened when you started the container.

Regards,
Benjamin

1 Like

Dear,

I did the below steps:

1- Download camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0.tar.gz from download page

2- Extract it on server

3- Create new user in database, and run 2 sql scripts successfully (oracle_engine_7.6.0.sql, oracle_identity_7.6.0.sql)

4- Add (), in /u01/camunda/server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/conf/server.xml

5- I edit the server.xml and added database information for JDBC Resource, you can find the server.xml file in attachment

6- Copy all jar files from from /u01/camunda/lib to /u01/camunda/server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/lib

7- Add bpm-platform.xml ( this step not clear), I skip it

8- Finally I start the application by run start-camunda.sh file, you can find the output below:
[oracle@erpoim ~]$ cd /u01/camunda/
[oracle@erpoim camunda]$ ./start-camunda.sh
starting camunda BPM platform on Tomcat Application Server
Using CATALINA_BASE: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24
Using CATALINA_HOME: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr
Using CLASSPATH: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/bin/bootstrap.jar:./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.
[oracle@erpoim camunda]$ console.error:
[CustomizableUI]
Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node
console.error:
[CustomizableUI]
1488444178150 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property

Please advise,
Thanks
Anas Sharat

server.xml (7.6 KB)

Hi Anas,

actually there are two ways of setting up camunda:

1. Just use the prepackaged distribution, unpack it and start the server with start-camunda.sh. You only need to modify the datasource settings for your database and you might also want to create the tables manually in that case.

2. Installing the camunda platform on a vanilla tomcat manually. That is where you need to copy jars and create a bpm-platform.xml.

What did you do in step 4 of your description?

Regarding the error message: did you deploy anything else on the tomcat server?

Cheers,
Benjamin

Dear,

I did your instruction,

1- Extract camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0.tar.gz

2- Edit the server.xml file from $TOMCAT_HOME/con and added the database information, you can find the server.xml file in attachment file.

3- Start the application from start-camunda.sh

But still the application not working, the output as below:
[oracle@erpoim camunda]$ ./start-camunda.sh
starting camunda BPM platform on Tomcat Application Server
Using CATALINA_BASE: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24
Using CATALINA_HOME: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr
Using CLASSPATH: ./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/bin/bootstrap.jar:./server/apache-tomcat-8.0.24/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.
[oracle@erpoim camunda]$ console.error:
[CustomizableUI]
console.error:
[CustomizableUI]

I didn’t make any change except adding the database information in server.xml file.

Please advise,
Anas Sharat

1 Like

\ adding the server.xml file.

server.xml (7.6 KB)

Have a look into camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0\server\apache-tomcat-8.0.24\logs\catalina*.log.
I suppose you’ll find errors like “Unable to load class: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver”.
Put ojdbc7.jar into camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0\server\apache-tomcat-8.0.24\lib.

Dear,

Thank you for your support, the below issue solved,
But when I start the application I found error in logs, “Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist”

But I already run both SQL scripts (oracle_engine_7.6.0.sql, oracle_identity_7.6.0.sql),

Can you please advise,

Thanks and Regard,
Anas Sharat

Anas,

Do you have more information which table is missing?

I’m not really familiar with the tomcat distribution, tomcat as the web server.
Usually Camunda creates the tables on first startup itself.
In my Wildfly distribution I have a property named isAutoSchemaUpdate whereas in the tomcat distribution it is named only databaseSchemaUpdate. See camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.6.0\server\apache-tomcat-8.0.24\conf\bpm-platform.xml.
I can say that that together with Wildfly is property with the is prefix is working.

Regards, Frank

Dear,

Regarding to which tables is missing, I think more than one, I will send you the log file.
In bpm-platform.xml file, I already change the databaseSchemaUpdate to noop as mentioned in the installation guide.

Regard,
Anas Sharat

Looking back at your first post, you did not meniton, that you changed something else than the server.xml.

I tried both ways today.
databaseSchemaUpdate = true with an empty database and databaseSchemaUpdate = noop with running the scripts manually before.
Both successfully.
I did not get any SQL errors like you did.

There is at least one known issue with failing deployment deletion when the history tables are not present, see https://app.camunda.com/jira/browse/CAM-7332

Perhaps that helps.

Dears,

Thanks a lot for your support, everything is working fine now.

Regard,
Anas Sharat

15-Jun-2018 10:02:39.754 SEVERE [main] org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.ConnectionPool.init Unable to create initial connections of pool.
java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: IO Error: Invalid number format for port number