Can we use Camunda Platform 8 for free in Production system?

It is possible to run Camunda 7 workflow engine for free and without having an enterprise license. Is that similar for Camunda 8 too?

1 Like

Yes to both.

Although Camunda 8 has some additional caveats - specifically you cannot sell access to Camunda 8 as a service.
Some of the web applications used with Camunda 8 cannot be used in production without a license.
But you can use the core components like Zeebe

2 Likes

Here are some more details if you are interested: Zeebe License Overview and FAQ - Camunda. Rule of thumb is: The core workflow engine and the modeler is “for free”, while the advanced tooling (e.g. Operate, Optimize) is free to use during development, but requires a license for production.

4 Likes

But what about cockpit and task list. We are a small entity using Camunda engine for our in-house industrial system. Most of our workflows are started automatically and don’t require user interactions The few ones requiring some inputs are started by our UI application. Cockpit and task list in this context are only used as debug/monitoring tools. With Camunda 8, since operate and task list are restricted to non-production environment : does it means that I cannot use on our production environment and monitor/kill, for example, a running process instance ? → use the API only

Exactly! (Just that Cockpit is now named Operate - and it is always a debug/monitoring tool;-) ): You could either monitor via API or discuss a license (might be much less painful than you might think it is). If SaaS is an option for you, this is obsolete anyway - as then everything is always included.

Bernd,
Thanks for the clarification…
I’ve tried SaaS last December during our Hackathon: I need more time to plan a migration of our workflows. A good point, as you described in your blog, is to 1st move to a remote Camunda 7 engine. But the drawback are the different client libraries… So maybe to jump directly to Zeebe.
Anyhow this must be done with the migration of our micro-services to Amazon Fargate ECS… some work in the pipe!
Pascal

1 Like

I would migrate directly from C7 embedded to Zeebe, otherwise, you just have two migrations on your plate…
In any way - this is not urgent, as we are still actively developing Camunda 7 for at least 5 years…

You could either monitor via API or discuss a license (might be much less painful than you might think it is)

Hi, just to get it clearly: does that mean, using tasklist or operate API is okay for production usage, and only web-frontend requires a paid-license?

You can all Core components like Zeebee Engine , gateway and Modeler , which will serve your purpose running DMn and BPMN workflows. Only thing we cant use operate and. tasklist feature

@BerndRuecker, Will be there any problem if organization continuing with Camunda 7.x version and not camund 8.x community version?

I can see there is many restrictions in camunda 8 in trial version (Operate and taskList is not accessible) which I don’t like.

Is there any feature plan to sunset the camunda 7.x or how long developer will get support for community version?

Hi @yadav1990

Details on the future of Camunda 7 and the date of the last supported version can be found here.

There are open source web apps for Zeebe that you can use instead of using the enterprise front end.

Simple Monitor for admins
Simple Tasklist as an alternative to the enterprise tasklist

@Niall It’s completely changed from camunda 7.0 to camunda 8.0. Camuda-modeler 8 don’t have the option to choose implementation type for the service task and inline script task.
Now, I don’t know how “taskDefiniton” are going to work for delegate classes, connector, service and script task.

How can I configure the above implementation? :thinking:

how can we do camunda 7 to camund 8 zebee client migration?
It’s looks completely different from both the prospecting BPMN modeling and implementation of service and script task.

would BPMN designed in camunda 7 platform will work in camunda 8 ?

Correct - Camunda 8 is a completely different engine than camunda 7 so there are a lot of differences.

You can read about C7 to C8 migration here in the docs and you can read an overview of the differences in this blog post.

Hi @yadav1990,

here is a repository to help with the migration from Camunda 7 to Camunda 8: GitHub - camunda-community-hub/camunda-7-to-8-migration: A modeler plugin to convert BPMN files from Camunda Platform 7 to Camunda Platform 8.

Although everything has changed under the hood, both engine have important parts in common:

• They execute BPMN diagrams
  • They use programmed code to execute the service tasks.

You can convert your Camunda 7 diagrams with the diagram converter: camunda-7-to-8-migration/backend-diagram-converter at main · camunda-community-hub/camunda-7-to-8-migration · GitHub

You can use the adapter to reuse your java delegate implementations: camunda-7-to-8-migration/camunda-7-adapter at main · camunda-community-hub/camunda-7-to-8-migration · GitHub.

Some background information: In Camunda 8, the task type is the only reference to the implementation of a service task. The adapter can map it to a java delegate implementation.

Hope this helps, Ingo

2 Likes