Can't find scripting engine for 'javascript': scriptEngine is null- camunda with Spring boot microservices

org.camunda.bpm.engine.context : ENGINE-16004 Exception while closing command context: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘javascript’: scriptEngine is null

org.camunda.bpm.engine.exception.NullValueException: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘javascript’: scriptEngine is null

I using Project SDK 1.8, which was suggested on the forum but that is not working.

java version “1.8.0_151”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

bpmn/dmn is tested and is correct. It is working as expected in others environment.

What exactly do you do for this error to occur?

Thanks @Niall for response. I have bpmn workflow to execute on my local setup. the same bpmn and dmn working fine on dev/ test environment but I could not execute it for the above error.

I am using Gradle, springboot microservices, camunda with postgres database

It’s possible that this problem is happening because of the version of Java you’re using.
The newest version does not include a javascript engine. So maybe thats a good place to start your investigation.

This issue is fixed for me now with below 2 changes. Intellij was the main issue in my case. hope this will help someone.

1)Project SDK should be 1.8

2)Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Build Tools | Gradle | Build and run using is set to Intellij IDEA.

Thanks.

1 Like

Adding below dependency worked for me.

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.camunda.template-engines</groupId>
    <artifactId>camunda-template-engines-freemarker</artifactId>
  </dependency>

I am getting this exception while trying to run a test. I am using camunda-engine 7.15.0 and JDK 11.

Change JDK version and test. it will work.

Add graalvm helped me:

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.graalvm.js</groupId>
            <artifactId>js</artifactId>
            <version>${graalvm.version}</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.graalvm.js</groupId>
            <artifactId>js-scriptengine</artifactId>
            <version>${graalvm.version}</version>
        </dependency>
2 Likes

Сan you explain in more detail what you did?