Comparing Flowable with Camunda

Hi,

After a lot of research we are looking to move away from our traditional BPM of choice to either Camunda or Flowable. Both these engines have a similar start and similar history. And therefore to chose between them is tougher than to chose between a Camunda and say Cadence. If some of you who have done the similar exercise can share your experiences it will be a lot helpful.

If some of the senior members in this group can help me with the following questions:

1. Its my understanding that Camunda Community edition and EE have the same codebase. Only that the EE gets patches and updates a lot faster than Community. Is this understanding correct?
  2. What are some of the key features that would make Camunda stand apart from the crowd?
  3. How difficult is it to go from Community edition to EE?
  4. How well does Camunda work with a Document Management System (DMS) or is there an internal DMS?
  5. Would Camunda be a good fit for a Case Management usecase? But something that requires a lot of documents to be processed as a part of the activities in the wf
  6. Can Camunda work with a React or Angular application in either a headless mode or a super governance mode?

Here is my uneducated guess. I only comment on the points I have to say something about.

This is not correct. The code base is exactly the same. There is no separate code base for the EE. EE just has some parts that are not in the community edition.

Good docs and community.

There is no DMS. You are free to choose one that fits you best and integrate it to your taste.

3 Likes

You can read differences between Camunda vs Flowable blog post.

1 Like

@fml2 is correct, only one thing i’d like to add is that Cockpit - Camunda’s admin front end has additional features that are not implemented in the CE version of Camunda.

Also Optimize is only available at the EE version

1 Like

@all Thank You. So basically an organization can start with Community and then naturally move upgrade into EE as and when the production capabilities of Monitor and Optimize are needed. This is a great way of doing Open Source.

If there is not DMS then what do you doing with the documents that are needed in any Case Management application. Also is Case Management a use case that is worked actively by the Camunda current customers.

Please can you also let me know the max scale that Camunda is currently managing in production for any of your customers. How well is it scalable and how well has it been tested in production?

I’ve found that most Case Management requirements can be satisfied by BPMN - we do have a CMMN engine and Modeler but we’ve found that most people don’t need it and so addtions to that part of the engine are few and far between.

I would always suggest that you first try to model your case in BPMN as well as CMMN and see which one works best.

Performance and scale is a very complicated question because it depends on a lot of factors.
This video is from 24 hour fitness, they spoke at CamundaCon a few years ago and they scale like crazy

1 Like

Hi,

Here’s a blog post on some document management integration scenarios…

regards

Rob

2 Likes

@Niall how do you manage the DMS use cases with Camunda?

Also if you can you let me know how to manage the following use cases:

Use Case 1: A task is send to a “Seller 1 Role”; The person in the Seller 1 Role is say a user named Joe. Now Joe should get this task. But then Joe goes on leave and the “Seller 1 Role” is given to the Bob. Will Bob automatically get all the tasks that were with Joe in the Seller 1 Role?
Use Case 2: Joe and Bob work in 2 shifts. Will both of them get the task if they are both in Seller 1 Role?
Use Case 3: Joe and Bob work in 2 shifts but as a company policy John can see the task between 9 AM - 5 PM and Bob from 5 PM to 10 PM. Both are in the Seller 1 Role and the task was sent to the Seller 1 role

Sure thats very straightforward to implement.

Also not a probom

Sure - thats also no problem.