Confused with the Camunda cloud and Zeebe branding

Hi,

I am quite confused with the Product naming and future.

• I understand Zeebe is the engine behind Camunda Cloud. Can we still use Zeebe without Camunda Cloud?

• Camunda is all in force marketing Camunda cloud and replacing Zeebe docs by mentioning Camunda Cloud everywhere in it. Does that mean in future there will just Camunda cloud and no Zeebe?

• Zeebe community license. Will we be violating it if :

• Create a service which is running certain workflows defined by our customers and running on their premises. Note: Workflow engine is quite small part of the whole service but still critical part
    • In far future we want our customers to model their Process and deploy to the running service

I am reading the license “ A “Commercial Process Automation Service” is a service intended for or directed
towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation for the provider of the
service enabling third parties (other than the provider’s employees or
Contractors) to deploy and execute Custom Processes or to access the Software
via its APIs.”

Thanks

Hi @sherry-ummen,

To answer the first two:

• I understand Zeebe is the engine behind Camunda Cloud. Can we still use Zeebe without Camunda Cloud?

Yes, you can use Zeebe.

• Camunda is all in force marketing Camunda cloud and replacing Zeebe docs by mentioning Camunda Cloud everywhere in it. Does that mean in future there will just Camunda cloud and no Zeebe?

No, it does not mean that.

Hmm ok. What about Licensing. I guess too sensitive topic to be discussed openly?

The license text is straight-forward. Do you get paid for “enabling third parties (other than the provider’s employees or Contractors) to deploy and execute Custom Processes or to access the Software via its APIs”?

If the answer to this is no, then it meets the license conditions. If the answer is yes, then it falls outside the license.

If it falls outside the source-available free-to-use license, you can always talk with Camunda about getting another license under a support agreement.

If you have additional questions about licensing, you can contact the Open Source Compliance team at foss@camunda.com.

Hi @sherry-ummen,

To add a little to what Josh said: Camunda Cloud is the name of the complete product stack including Zeebe as the engine but also all other tools, e.g. Operate, Tasklist, and Optimize. Camunda Cloud is available both as a managed service as well as self-managed in you own datacenter or cloud.

Cheers,
Falko

2 Likes