Database pool sizing is controled by maxpool size

Hi,

If we keep below configurations:
spring.datasource.hikari.maximum-pool-size=100
camunda.bpm.job-execution.max-pool-size=50

Then datasource pool size also limiting to 50 only…
Could anyone please let me know how to differentiate between these. Thank you.

Thanks,
Venkaiah.

Hello guy!
\O

it’s me again! hahahaha

Huuum…
one setting shouldn’t alter or limit another… because as I commented in another post of yours, one thing is different from the other.

What may be happening is that your configuration may be exceeding the maximum number of threads for your OS or JVM.

Another thing that must be taken care of when configuring it is that the maximum number of threads in camunda is not greater than the maximum number of threads in the database… as this could certainly cause unexpected behavior. But in your cited example, this is not the case.

Regards.
William Robert Alves

1 Like

Thank you for the update @WilliamR.Alves

The way you are responding to our questions are soo good and thank you again for your quick responses…

So is the below is fine right (just for confirmation):
spring.datasource.hikari.maximum-pool-size=100
camunda.bpm.job-execution.max-pool-size=50

Thanks,
Venkaiah.

Hello again my friend!

I believe that the ideal would be for you to test with smaller numbers of connections in the pool.

The pattern of connections in the hikari pool, if I’m not mistaken, is only 10 (ten connections), if you leave it at 100 you’ll be putting 10x more than the pattern, and this could harm your application’s performance.

Test by doubling the capacity, for example 20.
I would not particularly put the same amount of pools size for both.

I would do something like:

spring.datasource.hikari.maximum-pool-size=30
camunda.bpm.job-execution.max-pool-size=20

Something like this…

but this is just my “caution”… it doesn’t necessarily mean that I have to do this.

What really cannot happen is your pool of jobs exceeds the pool of database connections. They may even be equal… but never exceed.

The Hikari pool can be bigger… not the other way around. :rocket:

Thank you for your feedback on my answers! I’m happy to be able to help
:smiley:

I hope this helps!

Regards.
William Robert Alves

1 Like