DMN Decision Tables and End user access

Hi,

I have couple of questions related to DMN rules like Decision Tables.

Can we have a decision table with more than 500 rows with more than 15 columns?
and with each row in decision table, can we return only one value or multiple? along with returning multiple values, can we set multiple properties/variables?

Can a decision table executes only one row which satisfies first or is there a way to execute all the rows satisfies the conditions?

To modify the decision tables in PROD, can an end user directly modify the rules without any intervention of IT making the changes and deploying it to PROD? I mean the decisions are generally business managed and may change over the time and for every small change in these decision rules needs IT engagement, then it costs the business time and money. So can they make these rule changes directly in PROD? if yes, which portal/application allows it? any link to documentation on such is appreciated.

Thank you,
Shiva.

Hey @shivakumarsingani - welcome to the Camunda Forum! :slight_smile:
You can build pretty big decision tables using Camunda. If you do have the possibility I would recommend using a decision requirements diagram (DRD) to build a complex decision tree containing multiple smaller decisions. For sure you can define multiple output variables in a decision.

Next up you to have the possibility to set a Hit Policy which defines how the rules are evaluated. Check out this page in our documentation to learn more about the different policies which are implemented within our engine:

Indeed it is possible that Business Users can update decisions right away in a production environment. It always up to you to decide how it should be used.

Overall you could use Camunda 8 SaaS which comes with a Web Modeler which is also applicable for DMN tables. Besides there is also Camunda 7 which comes with a DMN engine as well.

I attached a youtube video explaining Camunda’s DMN capabilities a bit more in depth:

P.s. the video is not the newest and it is about Camunda 7 in particular.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Thomas

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Can you please elaborate on this.
Do you mean business users can update decision tables while working on the tasks, same application which is Tasklist?

Hey @shivakumarsingani! :slight_smile:
So with that comment I meant that you can always restrict access for certain User-Groups if really necessary.
If you grant Business Analysts access to the Web Modeler in Camunda Platform 8 they will also have the possibility to deploy decision tables to the engine.

Maybe it is worth just trying it out. :wink: Camunda 8 SaaS has a thirty day free trial. So experimenting around should be fairly easy.