E-mail Incident Notification Plugin

Dear Camunda team,

We have developed a plugin for the engine a few months ago, and, after checking the state of the art, we see there is nothing like it yet. Therefore, we want to contribute to the Camunda Community by making it available as a Community extension plugin. We wanted to touch base here so that it does not look like it came from nowhere.

What does the plugin do?
It notifies via email or by other configurable means when an incident happens in any given process instance. In short an email alert mechanism for incidents.

Why is this plugin important?
The idea came about because this is a highly demanded feature, that does not work out of the box in Camunda. The implementation is novel, meaning, there is not yet anything like this, our plugin is already developed and ready-to-use.

• A quick search in google with the term “camunda send email incident” shows us a quick overview of the state of the art, it can be summarized as in this tread
    Alert as email

• the idea exists but there is not yet a community implementation: camunda best-practices, search for recognizing_and_managing_strong_incidents_strong

• There are questions containing the same use case we cover, and just pointing at the idea, in camunda forum, search for how-to-extend-default-incident-handler/9667

• In other questions, there is no clarity, so hard to start for some: Custom Incident Handler - Camunda Platform 7 Process Engine - Camunda Platform Forum

Advantages of using this plugin
It can be used as base for a more complex plugin, however without any development effort, it works fine after integration. It can be used for any prototype or a spike when things have to be tested or used in proof of concepts, but again, it is production ready.

Very important
This plugin does not have to be confused with the existing one: camunda-bpm-mail integration, in that plugin, the integration is done in service tasks and built on top of the Connectors API. Our plugin is an extension of an Incident Listener, and it basically collects information from incidents and sends emails out.

Example:

What do you guys think ?

Best !
Gerardo

6 Likes

Hi @g.manzano ,

this sounds exactly like the thing I’m looking for, where can I check it out?

Greetings,
Clemens

2 Likes

This is really fantastic!
Thanks so much for the contribution!

This is a really great idea - i really dislike how connectors are used for the other plugin.

2 Likes

@g.manzano - sounds good!
Id like to have a look at this too, do you have the code on github?

2 Likes

We will create a pull request in https://github.com/camunda/camunda-cockpit-plugins. We will also make it available in one of our own public repos. Stay tunned.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

I would like to share with you all, the following link to the plugin we mentioned above.

In the same public repository, you can check out an example how to implement it with a Spring Boot Application, and there is a second example using a Tomcat Container (not embedded in Spring Boot).

Additionally, we created a pull request in the Camunda Repo, in case we are lucky enough to be part of the official camunda plugins. For that one stay tuned.

4 Likes

@g.manzano. Nice job.

if you want a little better performance at scale try and remove the input variables so they are not stored in the dB as rows. Could use the delegate field injection instead.

2 Likes

Thanks @StephenOTT for the input. Will talk to my team members about it. All credit goes to them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes