Environment Variables Like in BPM IBM

Hi All,

I want to know if there is something like Environment Variables in BPM IBM in Camunda, so I can configure my custom environment variables?

Best Regards,
Yasmeen

Hello my friend!

I have no knowledge about IBM BPM.

However, if your Camunda project is Java/Spring embedded and you want to customize an environment variable to run locally, you can add it to your IDE, and create a function in your Java code that returns the value of this environment variable using System.getEnv (“variableName”), and calling this function within your Camunda.

William Robert Alves

1 Like

Hello William!

Thanks for your reply!

if I created my custom variables in Java, every time I want to update or add a variable, I will need to restart the server after this change, so We can’t change it at the runtime, right?
knowing that We use Tomcat Distribution.

Sorry if my questions are basic, I am newbie at Camunda

Hello my friend!

You don’t need to say sorry! We are all here to learn and evolve… the ideal is to never stop learning! :smile:

Environment variables are read when the application is started, so any change in values ​​will not affect the application that is running, unless you restart the server.

But as you want dynamic environment variables to change and simulate at runtime, couldn’t you create the variables using a process variable of type String and reading it?
You can change the process variable at any time at runtime. It would be a great way to test your different scenarios.

Another thing I usually do when I want to change something at runtime to test and visualize the cockpit, is to place a user task between the activities that I want to make a change to while running the service tasks.

Imagine that I have 2 service tasks that I am testing, so to evaluate the complete behavior and so that I can make any changes between one service task and another, before deploying the process I place a user task so that the instance remains stopped at that point, and I can make the changes without any problems.

But this is only during E2E tests.

I hope this helps!

William Robert Alves

3 Likes

Many thanks @WilliamR.Alves for your reply!
It really helped me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.