Execute Camunda 8 process (BPMN) and DMN using REST API (Postman)

Hi there,

is it possible to run through Camunda 8 BPM process using REST APIs say via postman, I couldn’t find any documentation. Please share reference to any postman collection that can be used for Camunda 8 REST.

also on similar lines is it also possible to evaluate DMN decisions using REST API.

Actually we have dot net as backend, so we want to test our BPMN and DMN before we share it to dot net team to execute them using GRPC ? Hope dot net will have to use GRPC calls to invoke Camunda 8 BPMN and DMN ?

Thanks,

Our docs team have created this postman collection which works as a great resource to see existing API capabilities.
https://www.postman.com/camundateam/workspace/camunda-8-postman/overview

1 Like

many thanks Niall, I saw that but somehow I don’t see any REST APIs to start process instance or decision instance. Am I missing anything here ?

Cheers

The Tasklist API is the one with the start process call
https://www.postman.com/camundateam/workspace/camunda-8-postman/request/20317927-017b8b33-1a37-43a0-8a15-2bee440ae5d2

Thanks Niall, I will have a look at that. Do I need to update environment variables with my own running server to try these out or I can use existing environment collection on that postman link ?

also in C8, is it possible to execute DMN directly using REST/GraphQL/GRPC etc instead of executing it by referencing it inside a BPMN ?

thanks

Hi @DIID_RAO,

you have to call the evaluateDecision API on the Zeebe engine via gRPC: Zeebe API (gRPC) | Camunda 8 Docs.

You can use the Java Client to interact with Zeebe and provide your own REST API for decision evaluation: Evaluate a decision | Camunda 8 Docs

Hope this helps, Ingo

Hello there,

I didn’t open a new topic because I thought it was related to this topic, and there were things I wanted to ask.

I can evaluate DMN decisions and start bpmn processes via REST API on Camunda 7. After reviewing the documents of the current Camunda 8 APIs, I saw that some of the services are not in the documentation, such as DMN evaluation and starting the BPMN process via REST API.

I could evaluate DMN successfully with Java API like this sample which @Ingo_Richtsmeier provided but I need to know how to evaluate it with REST API.

Do these services(DMN evaluation and start BPMN process) already exist to use via REST API? If so, is there any example for you to share them? If not, outside the document itself, can you share any hands-on examples for calling the evaluateDecision and starting the BPMN process API on the Zeebe engine via gRPC?

Thanks a lot,