Going back on a Workflow

Hello,
is there a way to make a workflow “go back” to a previous task?
Example: current workflow is waiting on “Test Msg”, is it possible to force it to go back to “Fetch Goods” in a backoffice/support action? I don’t mean to have a branch going back but as a way to correct something that went wrong on process execution as an exception.

Thanks

Boundary error event that goes either to the Fetch Goods task, or to a “Refetch Goods” task, which is the same task-type, but with a custom header to indicate that it is a correction invocation.

If I understand your answer, I’d need to have the workflow prepared to “go back”. So, there is no way to force the workflow to jump back to an arbitrary task, right ?

No. Zeebe currently doesn’t support process instance modification as camunda 7 does

Greets
Chris

Ok. Thank you.

@Zelldon - since it has been more than a year, I would like to check if process instance modification is now supported in zeebe OR is there any github issue tracking its progress?

Thanks.

2 Likes

An issue has just been made: [Epic] Process Instance Modification · Issue #9570 · camunda/zeebe · GitHub

3 Likes

Hi @mastah, @MichaelArnauts, @JGeek,

With 8.1 release (October), we brought Process Instance Modification feature. This can help you to repair process instances that ended up in the wrong state by repeating or skipping steps. You can easily move running flow nodes, add new or cancel existing ones via Operate UI.

Did you have a chance to check this feature? Does it work as expected or do you miss something there?

I’m eager to hear your feedback :slight_smile:
Aleksander