How do I connect IntelliJ with Camunda?

Hello, for several days I’ve been trying to connect IntelliJ with Java, but unfortunately, I don’t know how. I’m not sure if this tutorial https://academy.camunda.com/c8-getting-started-microservice-orchestration/1459292 is helpful. For example, I don’t understand what the payment application is and how to set it up on my end. I also want to incorporate message events, but it’s not explained anywhere. I kindly ask for your help; I’ve been desperate and crying constantly. I’ve tried everything, but there doesn’t seem to be a more detailed explanation available. I haven’t worked with APIs before, and I don’t know how to use intermediate events. Thank you very much.

Can you please rephrase your question to make it easier to get the core of the issues you’re having. Answering the following questions will help.

1. What is your singular goal
  2. What have you tried so far (step by step)
  3. what was the expected result.
  4. what was the actual result.

Thanks.

1 Like

So, I have a service task and I’ve written a program. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to connect it to Camunda. 1. My goal is to integrate my code, the service tasks, into Camunda and add message events. 2. First, I looked at this resource (https://academy.camunda.com/c8-getting-started-microservice-orchestration/1426935), but it confused me because although I understood what a job worker is, everything that followed overwhelmed me with too much information at once, and I couldn’t keep up. Then I watched this video (Camunda Platform 8 Code Studio, Episode 5: Implementing a Camunda 8 Client - YouTube). I’m not sure if it was the right approach. 3. I followed the steps shown in the video, and my code worked with the service task. However, someone told me it was wrong because I cloned the library from GitHub as shown in the YouTube video. I can show you the code. 4. The code worked, but I don’t know if it was wrong to clone the library.

Sorry for disturbing you. I am overwhelmed because of this

Can you upload it to github and send me a link to it

What exactly did you clone.

Can you explain what in the code worked and what exactly isn’t working.

I uploaded it on Github. Here is the file Camunda/camunda-8-code-studio/src/JavaCloudWorker/src/main/java/zeebe/camunda/worker at main · FCCatalonia/Camunda · GitHub

I cloned it from here GitHub - camunda-community-hub/camunda-8-code-studio: This repository contains all assets for the Camunda Platform 8 related Code Studio events.

The code works but I don´t know how to implement messages event like this in picture.

Message events are handled like job workers - you can find the specific documentation on this page. You set up the message event like a service task, with a task definition type, and then you write a job worker and handler that receives that message. For that particular model, your job worker then needs to send a start message; and you do a similar handling for the end of the travel agency pool to to the catch event in the user pool. The important part is that you manage the correlation key correctly, so that you are messaging between the same process instance rather than starting a new instance. (This is what Jonathan shared in the previous thread about message correlation.)

I have read it, but still, I don’t know how to do it because I don’t have an understanding of it. I’m not sure if everything in my class can be included in the GitHub worker application. I saw Jonathan’s explanation, but I still don’t know how to implement it. I’m not familiar with what exactly correlation is, as it was not covered in the academy videos. It’s difficult for me to grasp because how can I program something when a message is sent or received, and how to do it in an event subprocess. I have read everything, but I still don’t understand it.

Hey Niall sorry for disturbing you. I wanted to ask if my code was correct.

I am not sure what you’re asking for help with at this point? Our message correlation documentation is a step-by-step guide: did you read through it? What part do you have questions about?

Your job worker looks OK; it’s not doing anything yet, of course, but you haven’t written any logic for it to execute. It is missing a couple important: you can’t just return out of the handler like that, you need to issue a “job completion command”. You can see this illustrated in the repository you cloned, on this line. That requires access to a JobClient instance, which is injected through the method parameters (look at line #44).

I will try to understand it but there are too many difficulties which I have.

I appreciate that, and we are all trying to help, but we need you to ask specific questions otherwise there isn’t much additional feedback we can give!

Hello @FC_Catalonia Have you already considered in taking one of our online courses in https://academy.camunda.com ? You can here register for free and learn the basic concepts from scratch!

Best, McAlm

I watched the videos, but there are still some uncertainties at certain points.