How to configure spin to change date serialization format

I need to configure camunda to json serialise my dates to strings formatted “yyyy-MM-dd” but I am not sure where to start. Presently the date is captured and stored as a string from the embedded form, but then later on in the workflow it is converted to a number.

I have read:

But it is not making a lot of sense to me. I see that you need to create a custom data formatter and register it, but there are only fragments of information and I am not sure of the steps involved or where to place the prices of code.

Is there a simpler way to do this or some step be step guidance?
Thank you.

@SlappyAUS you can give a try using Forms SDK variable binding
[Embedded Forms Reference | docs.camunda.org]

It is more an issue of interoperability with external non java processes. I cant have the data type changing types (from string to number) in the payloads depending on if the value is being modified in a form or worked on in java, given an external process will be using them via the REST API…

Hello @SlappyAUS ,

the easiest way to use spin is in combination with jackson-json. There is an out-of-the-box dependency you can use.

This basically wrap jackson-json which means that you can use and configure any jackson-json extension to achieve proper formatting of your process instance data.

I hope this helps

Jonathan