How to create data table for Entering Data in Camunda form?

I’ve observed that the existing Camunda Form does not support form controls, so how can I do that, using an external form? Can Camunda correctly identify the table and insert the data into the database?

Hello @DeepDreamerLSC ,

by default, all variables that you handle with Camunda Platform 7 or 8 are saved alongside the process instance in a serialized way, meaning there is no requirement to create more tables in the schema. Anyway, if you want to extend the schema, you can do it of course and map the submitted data to your own entities using output mapping for example.

I hope this helps

Jonathan

Hi @jonathan.lukas
Does this mean I can use custom forms to store any data I want, including tables? So if I’m going to map to my own entity, I guess I need to use the task service, right?

Thanks for your help

Lin

Hello @DeepDreamerLSC ,

basically yes, but I would advice you to create the integration from your tables to Camunda 7 backend-wise. For Camunda 8, this is something else, as there is no java backend integration possible.

For mapping, there is a section input/output on each task. We will not require a service task here (unless saving/loading data from your tables is part of your business logic).

Jonathan

Hello @jonathan.lukas
Coincidentally, I’m using Camunda 7. Do you have any recommended teaching materials for using the Camunda Model in detail? I’m just a rookie.

Lin

Hello @DeepDreamerLSC ,

this section of our docs is describing the mechanicms using XML:

If you want to do this in the modeler, you need to look here:

As you can see, I create a local variable (only existing while the task is active) which is loaded from a service (assuming you are using CDI like spring-boot). The variable dataId has to be present on the process instance.

The advantage is that you only need to save the id of an entity as variable and can load the object if required.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Hi @jonathan.lukas
Thank you very much for your patience, I can take the time to read the official document first.

Lin

1 Like